Thread: What type(s) of lead do you use?

What type(s) of lead do you use?

Just interested in what collar/lead combos people use? Harness? Slip lead? Normal collar and lead? Haltis? The choice is endless!

I do a bit of leatherwork so have made all of Sam's collars. She started out with a 3/4 inch wide flat collar and is now onto a 2 inch wide embossed one.

I generally use a leather gundog lead although I generally walk her off lead. I have made her a short lead to but it lives in the car as my emergency lead in case I have forgotton the other one.
    John

I started at the bottom and I like it here

Wow thats a great collar you made there very nice I generally walk off lead but have had to do some road training with sash so just use a slip lead, thats a great idea making your own though.

it really depends on...

slip lead
    when it's really just 'dog time'. i find it very convenient to put on/take off, it packs small and leaves her without a collar when doing dog stuff in the bushes, or getting muddy.

leash and collar
    when 'going into town' or other more civilised activities. mostly, because it's easier to tie her, say, to a chair leg with this combo.

harness
    when cycling while keeping her on the leash - so she can pull me
    when in the canoe and she doesn't wear her swimvest. because the harness makes it easier to grab and pull her back in the boat if she goes for a swim.

Zilla has a harness for anytime out of the house. I find it's easier to guide him if on leash and easier to move him if he's rolled in something smelly off leash. He doesn't have a collar cuz he's got a bit of a hound neck so it's thicker at the base and tiny at the top. If you put a leash on that fits around the base he puts his head down and slips it off. If you have it tight enough that he doesn't get it off, it sits midneck and creates these great big rolls of skin underneath.
    Find Kim and Zilla on You Tube for clicker tutorials and tricks

I did notice the harness in your ball video and wondered about the reason. I do hate the way some collars bunch the dogs neck skin up. I am forever adjusting Sam's collar between two sizes as I try and balance it not being too loose yet not shoving all her fur up the wrong way.
    John

I find it's just easier to control the dog. We take him in the car a lot and have a car seat belt. I think it's safer to have it connected to a harness than lead in case there's an accident and the weight is distributed across the chest rather than neck. If you have a dog that pulls then a harness can make it easier for them to pull, so you need to do some no-pulling training, but that should be happening regardless of what they wear.
    Find Kim and Zilla on You Tube for clicker tutorials and tricks

My Corgis are wearing the Comfort Flex harnesses for walking/hiking- great fitting, easy on/off, and a definite distinction from other training collars/leashes.

What are the rules for you regarding collars? In the UK all dogs should have a collar with contact details on it when they are out. There is an exemption for dogs that are working but that is it I think.

I forgot to mention that for winter I have a great light up collar for Sam that means I can see where she is even at a long distance. I should really do a review of it but need to wait for the darker evenings to get some good pictures.
    John

We use harnesses on the terriers for longer walks with extending leads, and the same leads hooked onto their collars for shorter walks. The harness are better i think as there is no strain on the neck of the dog

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly View Post
    What are the rules for you regarding collars? In the UK all dogs should have a collar with contact details on it when they are out. There is an exemption for dogs that are working but that is it I think.
    i'm not aware of any such rule in the netherlands. the only thing that exists in some municipalities is a dog tax. those who pay it get a tag with a number on it that is meant to be attached to the dog - to the collar or harness, usually. so in those places, indirectly, you are expected to have one with the tag attached.
    this tax is an antiquated concept and there are not too many places left where it's applied. unfortunately it's used in amsterdam as an additional source of revenue. i disagree with it on principle an was dodging it for years until caught

people are encouraged to chip their dogs, and register their details.

There used to be a dog licence in the UK but it was scrapped when they realised it cost more to collect than it brought in. Having your dog chipped is gradually becoming compulsory all areas of the UK. It will be interesting to see what effect it has on the numbers of dogs being abandoned or lost.
    John