Thread: What do you give your dog as a special treat?

What do you give your dog as a special treat?

I got wondering about this today. There was a market on near work and at a pet stall I got a pig's foot for Sam as a treat.

I usually get her a big bone every now and again which she loves. If I get her a raw bone I have to limit how long she gets with it as she will just eat the whole thing in one go and make herself ill. I've never really gone for rawhide chews as I have heard some horror stories about these.

So far Sam is just sniffing about the pig's foot. I think it will take her a white to figure out it is for chewing but once she does I think she will love it.
    John

I started at the bottom and I like it here

You need Rottie jaws to even make a dent in that thing
    Properly trained, a man can become a dog's best friend.

So far she has not realised it is for eating, so it is still in one piece. Once she starts it will be interesting to see how long it takes her to finish it off.
    John

When I've come back from shopping for the dog's food at Bolton Market I usually give them a pig's ear each. There's a video of Molly and Brett eating theirs one time

I got them a pig's head one time and let them takes turns in having a go at it. They needed two mealtimes over two days to demolish it, and the only thing left at the end were a few teeth. There's a video of Brett taking his turn
    Last edited by MagiKelly; 26th-July-2013 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Embed video

Sam has still not realised she can chew the pig's foot. Not sure how she would be with a raw pig's head. I'm pretty sure it would freak my girls out though. Almost worth trying just for that
    John

Tend to give our dog the dental stick treats, not sure how effective they are in keeping his gnashers white, munching on real sticks seems to do a better job.
    David

My children tell me I have more photos of the dog than I do of them.

I got a pack of those dental sticks abut a fortnight ago. They were on sale at the same time as I had noticed Sam had some build up on her teeth. She loves them but can't say I am noticing a difference. I think I may need to give her more bones. She has antler and some big bones about but she does not spend much time chewing them. Raw bones she loves and goes through in no time.
    John

blix can't have protein due to kidney damage. but she loves things like apple, cucumber, carrot... actually i think i need to check if she's not a goat!

For all Sam's carnivore ways she is quite partial to a carrot. Or an orange bone as we call it
    John

we discovered that she likes carrot when she picked up the "nose" of a snowman that had fallen off.

In our house we're a bit split Ann likes denta sticks, Jambones, anything in a real packet, I prefer stuffed bones, hooves etc, we always have some pigs ears or rawhide around,

Ruby will tuck in to any and all of these, Scooby is less treat focused, will come charging when we get them out but a sniff then drops it and goes back to whatever he was doing

STOP THE CLOCK!

We have Bess staying over the last couple of nights. She had a little bit of a chew at the pig's foot and as a result Sam has realised it is for chewing. She has been at it for an hour now and gives a bit I growl if you get too close. She will let you take it from her without a fight but she does want it back.
    John

We have had mixed messages about bones, to the point where PoppyDog doesn't get any! I was tempted to give her spare rib bones from Sunday nights post-camp Chinese take-away but worried they might splinter and stick in her throat. She does eat the hyde chews (the Pet Shop up in Hunstanton sells one about three foot long and calls it a 'postmans leg') but leaves bits everywhere which is a pain.
    Is there a rule on what kind of bones can be given to the dog?

I agree there are mixed messages about this. I see lots of advice saying not to feed cooked bones, yet the big bones you get in Pets at Home are cooked or roasted. You can get raw ones as well but I find Sam goes through them too quick and makes herself sick.
    John