Thread: How often / long do you walk your dog for?

How often / long do you walk your dog for?

Just wondering how much everyone walks their dogs? During the week Sam tends to get a 20 to 30 minute walk in the morning before I go to work then in the evening a 45 minute to an hour walk. Some days of course it will be longer and occasionally shorter.

Although Sam enjoys her walks she is not one of those dogs who is desperate to get out. I could see her being quite happy hanging around the house as long as she got a good play in the garden. I would feel really guilty though. If I have to shorten her walking time for any reason I always feel quite guilty.
    John

I started at the bottom and I like it here

Being retired most days we go out for about two to four hours, depending on the weather and how energetic I'm feeling. Whilst it's been so hot we've been going out about 7am (whilst it's still cool) and getting back by about 10am. I try and vary where we go, so it's interesting for me, though the dogs don't seem to mind where we go so long as there are sticks to chase.

Normally a 15 minute walk in the morning to empty bladder & bowels, then a long walk in the afternoon ( 1-3 pm is doggy time ) then & half hour in the evenings..........at the moment though it's too hot to go walkies in the afternoons so we spend a good deal of time at the river & we'll have a longish walk in the evenings.even though it's still damn hot.
    Properly trained, a man can become a dog's best friend.

I did move the evening walk to later during the hot weather as Sam does get hot quite quickly.

I used to try and use the morning walk as a training walk when I would work on her sit, stays and recall. I moved onto her retrieving for a while but have not been doing this as much lately. I probably should start again as the mental stimulation seemed to do her good too.
    John

A quick walk in the morning on the lead, then 45mins to an hour late afternoon, off the lead and in the woods where he can run free! I am fortunate to work from home, and some days (most days) the pooch makes me feel guilty with his 'I'm fed up' look that I eventually cave in and take him out in the middle of the day as well. What I do know, is that as soon as I leave my desk for a walk, I get a client ringing me on the mobile and wondering why he can hear bird song in the background.
    David

My children tell me I have more photos of the dog than I do of them.

we take blix out for at least 1hr every day - that's the 'deal' we made with her
    the absolute minimum is to go for a quick pee in the morning, then a 1hr walk in the evening - that's on days where both of us are working away from home.
    if at least one of us is home it will be more frequent, of course. and if at least one of us is not working then it's also for a longer time, usually.

i came to the conclusion that the best days are those that are best for the dog - lots of time outside just enjoying ourselves

We were originally recommended to have two half hour walks with PoppyDog, morning and evening, but that is rare. Usually it will be between 30 and 90 minutes at some point during the day, if I am working from home (ditto the Davids 'birdsong' issue above) or when I get home later. During any day or evening there is lots of exercise in and around the garden anyway, usually involving a ball or stick! If she is lucky my son or my wife will take her out for around and hour or so if I am working away from home. Week ends generally involve one 3-4 hour walk plus of she goes where we go anyway. She seems happy with this, though like all Cockers and probably most dogs, she would carry on as long we could keep going! The vet seems happy with her too.

It is strange how we get told to not take on a dog unless we can walk it enough and then the first thing you are told is not to over walk them untill they are older. I have always tended to just go with what Sam is happy with. She is not forced to excersize. If she has extra energy she will work it of during a walk. If she is a bit tired she will have a more sedate walk.
    John