Thread: When did you get your first dog?

When did you get your first dog?

My recent reminiscing got me curious. http://www.dogwalkbloggs.com/showthr...-my-first-dog?

When did you get your first dog? Was it a family pet or specifically your dog?

I got Mindy when I was 13 and she was my dog. I walked her, fed her, took her to the vet etc. Even though my girls are both older than that now neither has a dog but they are in a house with a dog. I'm not sure it is the same as having your own dog though.
    John

I started at the bottom and I like it here

Ruby was my first dog just a few years ago, always wanted one though but thought living in cities, working shifts etc would be unfair on the dog so held off,

Really! I remember you getting Ruby and I thought this was just another dog in your life, not your first.
    John

I started at the bottom and I like it here

yep she was my first and arrived as a surprise.....

I tell the story (the short version) Like I said above I've always wanted a dog but felt it would be unfair to get one until I was in a place to look after it properly. I'd moved in with Ann for a couple of years had a job and now a house with a garden. Ann had dogs before and started talking about getting another. Ann wanted a small dog me a bigger one, but after a lot of discussions we decided a border terrier would suit, Unknown to me Ann had sent an email to a breeder, to get me one for my birthday, but they never replied.
    We decided t wait until the autumn as my work was busy and Ann was about to finish her degree, then one night her friend arrived. She helps with a voluntary rescue thing (Fern Rescue) When she came in Ruby charged into the room jumped up on me and feel asleep on my belly. She was a rescue that had been running loose in Glasgow, and was a bit of a sorry state. We agreed to take her on a test for a couple of weeks (we have cats so needed to see how she got on with them), but at this time I thought she would be taken away and come back as we had no food bed etc... but no she stayed,

we had a dog....

over the next few weeks we fund out she has antopic dermatitis, she had poor fur on her legs and belly and her ears were hard and covered in scabs where she had scratched herself so badly.
    But now she's fine she has steroids at times and lots of potions rubs etc, and buckets of cuddles and love

and her name well shes red-ish and we got her on a tuesday, on the way to work Ann turned her radio on and the first words she heard was "Ruby Ruby Ruby Ruby ahh a ahha aa...." so that was her name