Thread: That dog smell.

That dog smell.

We all know about the "wet dog smell" and the stink from your dog when they have rolled in something. But I really like the natural dog smell. This is not in a weird fetish way or anything. But there is something comforting about the smell of a clean dry dog, especially if they have been out in the sun.

Of course I only really know about this with my own dogs so it may just be short haired dogs. I suspect it may be a throwback to the memories from my childhood when I first got a dog. It also ties in, I guess, with when the dog is on the couch with her head resting on me getting stroked. The smell will probably be linked to that relaxed and happy state.

I was trying to describe the small to Jo last night as she could not smell it. However, it is a hard smell to put into words. All the words I kept coming up with were more linked to emotions or feelings rather than being like other smells.

So is it just me that likes the smell of their dog or is Jo right and I am just some sort of weirdo ? And if it is not just me how would you describe the smell?
    John

I started at the bottom and I like it here

Pet sniffing is all the rage........it even lowers our blood pressure

I like all doggy smells, even 'wet dog' but having had both uncastrated males & a bitch I can say that females do have a more subtle perfume than males
    Not sure if I should be admitting this but I love the smell of their pads, especially if they have been walking on grass.

You can't describe smells to anyone for the very reason you have cited, interpretation of smells is intrinsically linked to our emotions & passed experiences. In fact smells will send us back into the past far more readily than sights or sounds. Like Proust, we all have our ' madeleines '

EDIT; there were 12 guests reading this thread when I posted so it's certainly a subject that inspires interest......
    Properly trained, a man can become a dog's best friend.

I can confess to liking the smell of Sam's paws too when they are dry. I've been told you should get used to the smell of your dogs ears as any change can signal problems. Not a problem for me as it is the ears I tend to stroke most when she is curled up on the couch with me.
    John

It still seems weird to me!

Try sitting next to Finn when he lets one go ....................... garanteed he empties any room LOL

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly View Post
    But I really like the natural dog smell. This is not in a weird fetish way or anything.
    ... how do you know it's not?

Since it is a family friendly forum I will just say it does not effect me in that special way
    John

enough information