Thread: A Guide Dog

A Guide Dog

I've been honoured to spend many hours, including lunch today, with my great friend Steve and his amazing Guide Dog.

Steve went totally blind overnight 4 years ago, and will admit life for him and his wife became very difficult as he was a lively independant man. That is until May walked in, and transformed his life. He's recovered his independance and his zest for life, and will try almost anything I want to try.

I'm amazed to see how May can change from a typical friendly, zany, GR into an amazing caring creature as soon as he picks up the special harness. It's like there is a switch in the brain somewhere.

You might be amazed to know that the lifetime cost of one of these dogs is 50,000, and Steve might well need five dogs during his life so we need to raise 250,000 for each blind person. We all have great fun organising events and collections to do this. So if you see a Guide Dog Collection box in your travels, please give a thought to put a coin or two in it.

(Here endeth the epistle)

I have a friend who trained and worked drug search dogs. I was always struck by how they went from normal dogs to focused machines when the harness went on.
    John

I started at the bottom and I like it here

It's so amazing, I never get over how fantastic these dogs are. I'm a trainer with DogAID and it has taught me that every dog has the potential to be amazing when given the chance, we underestimate them so much in every day life. My Sebbi changes the moment his search harness goes on. When we train we leave food and toys scattered around as distractions from the scent and he just ignores them. Usually he'd hoover them up and ignore me

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly View Post
    I have a friend who trained and worked drug search dogs. I was always struck by how they went from normal dogs to focused machines when the harness went on.
    It's interesting that only 5% of dogs who begin training as a guide dog actually successfully pass the exams. Due to the rigours of the selection programme, they are still highly intelligent and often transfer to drug dogs (plus other trades such as helping other disabled people)

I've met quite a few people with "failed" guide dogs. So many in fact that I have often wondered if this was just some sales talk from the seller.
    John

Based on the fact that 450 dogs pass their exams to be guide dogs means that about 4000 dogs per year fail and find new jobs or homes. So there's a good chance that we see them. Not a perfect recommendations because they might have bad hips or unsound temperament. If I wanted one, I'd go direct to Guide dogs to find one that fails their "finals", rather than at the first hurdle. They aren't cheap dogs though, still around 600 as far as I know.

You might find a TV programme interesting this week.

It's Me and My Guide Dog, 3 July, 8pm - ITV

I'll need to set a reminder to watch that.
    John

Just watching it now.
    John