Thread: Dog and fireworks

Dog and fireworks

We are just coming to the end of fireworks season here. Sam is entirely unperturbed by fireworks and my other dogs have been the same. Only my first dog showed any signs of concern and that was only when she was in her teens is it may have been as her hearing was going or another age reason.

I read a comment of Facebook from a friend about her dogs being freaked out and how she was stressed about it. It made me wonder if it was her stressing about it that was part of the cause. The same friend does not take their dogs anywhere in the car as they apparently get car sick.
    John

I started at the bottom and I like it here

blix completely ignored fireworks when she was younger. now she's mostly ok with them, only sometimes she looks up and is a bit alarmed. not freaked out, though.

thunder and lightning is a different thing. especially lightning she really doesn't trust. then she tries to stay close or go somewhere "it" can't see her or whatever she thinks it does.

I think Sam is okay with thunder and lightning. I can't remember any reaction but can't really remember her being round any. She is actually pretty much unfazed by anything.
    John

People's reactions certainly don't help with things like this. Our natural reaction is to cuddle or comfort if our dogs are scared, as we do with children. eg 'it's okay honey, there's no monster under your bed, *cuddles*. etc. The problem is, kids can rationalise and understand what you're saying so they're comforted. The dogs only hear the positive tone and fuss and think it's okay to be scared. In the natural world, being scared of something loud and sudden is perfectly normal but in our society where you're going to have fireworks once or twice a year it's best to desensitise. I've actually just done a blog about this on my website as I've had a lot of people ask me questions this year. It's here if you want to read it.

The best thing if possible is to desensitise early. Zilla was just over a year when he heard his first fireworks with us but we'd spent time on and off when he was young having bangs and other noises playing whilst we played or did some trick training. This year he slept through all the fireworks even when next door did some. It was funny because he stepped out our back door to go pee and as he stepped out they let out one of the screamy ones. He paused, foot raised, then once it was finished went out and peed. He came back a few minutes later, curled up and went back to sleep. I think that's fantastic!
    Find Kim and Zilla on You Tube for clicker tutorials and tricks

What I find strange is that I have heard of quite a lot of gundogs who are scared of fireworks. You would have thought that if they are used to shotguns going off that fireworks would be quite tame in comparison.
    John

It depends if they're working dogs. If they've been bred for a while as companions rather than working dogs then they only have instincts rather than learned behaviour
    Find Kim and Zilla on You Tube for clicker tutorials and tricks