Thread: What have you rolled in now?

What have you rolled in now?

I love Isla my GSD very much and she does me especially after rolling in Fox Poo!

I have tried a few pet shampoo products but they only seem to remove the mess/stain. The smell is not a poo smell as such. It is very strong, lingering and persistent odour.

Do you have a remedy you care to share?

If not then this new product may be of some use. I have not tried it yet myself so I am posting here rather than in the review section. I am not connected in any way, shape or form with the manufacturer or retailer.

I do not know what outlets will stock this product but I did find a link to a place that will stock it, http://www.companyofanimals.co.uk/pr...our-eliminator#

Tomato juice is supposed to be good for removing offending odors from our pet's coats....., even used on skunk spray (in skunk country of course)........my dogs have never rolled in anything that ordinary shampoo, my shampoo, & plenty of water couldn"t get rid of....& we are talking turds, cadavres & the worst of all, decomposing fish......OK you usually need two washes with the fish but it does work.

That there is a special product specifically for fox scats suggests to me that it's probably a gimmick...no doubt it just contains a perfume stronger than fox musk
    Properly trained, a man can become a dog's best friend.

Thank you for the tomato juice idea.

I did a little bit of looking on the internet and tomato juice/sauce appears to be rated highly as a remedy. Last night I tried the tomato sauce idea, rubbed it into the area like shampoo, rinse, shampoo and rinse. I can report that the horrible smell has gone!

Note to self, tomato sauce rubbed into and up the side of face would make an excellent zombie dog look for Halloween

Thankfully Sam is not big on rolling in smelly stuff. Jo has been suggesting shampooing Sam recently but I've resisted so far. She still just smells like a dog to me and I quite like that smell.
    John

I started at the bottom and I like it here

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly View Post
    Jo has been suggesting shampooing Sam recently but I've resisted so far. She still just smells like a dog to me and I quite like that smell.
    She's has a little too much dog odour these days!

Quote Originally Posted by Tocarnoe View Post
    I love Isla my GSD very much and she does me especially after rolling in Fox Poo!
    i know GSP but what's a GSD?

Quote Originally Posted by Blacktimberwolf View Post
    decomposing fish......
    indeed, that's the worst

Quote Originally Posted by lowlander View Post
    i know GSP but what's a GSD?

German Shepherd Dog...

duh! making me feel stupid...

Isla managed to find yet more fox poo. No great problem I thought, tomato sauce and wash when we get home. The ride in the car was just too much for the nostrils. Are foxes more actively marking their territory (mating season?) or is it just the lack of vegetation making it easier to find?

I decided to get some of the fox poo odour eliminator spray.

I was concerned if it was going to be just a gimmick? Would it just turn out to be an over powering masking scent?

I tried it on a cloth to check if it was just a strong smelling odour masking spray. It does have a smell but certainly not enough to over power the stink. It does smell like key lime pie. So I applied it to the areas following the instructions. I left Isla sulking in her bed and went outside to clear the nostrils, not of the product but of the fox poo smell. I return to Isla who had forgiven me. She did not smell of fox poo at all. The only smell was a very low level key lime pie smell but I had to get really up close to detect it.

Given the choices,

Keep Isla on the lead while in the forest. Not a chance as I like her to have free time and to be able to play with other dogs.
    Travel home with stinking dog. Not too bad if on foot but in the car is too much! Then tomato sauce and shampoo.
    Carry a bottle of the product and a clean cloth. Probably the simple and best solution for me and Isla.

I imagine foxes may be more territorial at the moment as winter draws on ( not yet vicar !!!) & animals do tend to protect their patch at this time of year as food is more difficult to come by. Foxes usually mate in February but apparently those in the UK can breed throughout the year.
    Use the spray by all means but you'll probably still have to wash her if only to remove the solid bits smeared on her coat...

Any chance of a piccy of Isla ?

Pictures of Isla ........ oops! Just off to add an entry in the introduction section .