Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Hemlock found on beach caused dogs death,

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    28

    Hemlock found on beach caused dogs death,

    This was posted over on SOTP, sorry for the dramatic title but I think we all should be aware, below copied from SOTP


    If you walk your dog on the beach beware of "Parsnip" type of sea weed. Its poisonous to dogs.

    See here for story about County Antrim beach.


    Big Al.


    Second to the above, I saw a report of solidified palm oil being washed up and dogs eating it can be made very ill mainly Devon and Cornwall. looks like small white stones but softish

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Lochwinnoch
    Posts
    839
    Thanks for posting this.

    They don't say if it grows near the sea or was dumped by someone. Certainly something to keep a lookout for.
    John

    I started at the bottom and I like it here

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    28
    Did a quick search and apparently it grows along side watercourses, sounds like the incident in N.Ireland the root has been washed out or dug out of a bank flowed down a river then has been washed up.
    looks like when its alive most animals will leave it alone and it has a mousy smell, but when dead it becomes like hay, but still contains the poison in the plant and roots

    some more info here

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    6
    Thanks for the advice!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •