Thread: Our Huskies

Our Huskies

Unfortunately, an illness, followed by problems with my computer, means I have not communicated as intended.
    However better late than never! So here we go.
    We have about 70 huskies. About 50 work, and the rest are either too young or retired. When they are retired we still care for them, in appreciation for the years of work they have done.
    This season, as many of you know, eastern Canada has had plenty of snow. Consequently the dogs have had lots of exercise pleasing customers.
    As the season will end in early April, we are already looking forward to canoeing on the rivers and lakes in the summer.
    We offer day trips, and expeditions, guided and unguided, in the wilderness in Northern Quebec
    www.wildernessactivitiescanada.com

70 Huskies must talk a lot of looking after. Obviously it is a business as well but even just the feeding must take ages. How long does it take and do you have some staff to help?

Also how do you exersize them during the summer? Do you use the wheeled buggy things instead of sleds?
    John

I started at the bottom and I like it here

As a reply, I have put some information about feeding and exercising:
    1.What do they eat ?They eat croquettes in the summer and fatty meat and croquettes in the winter
    2 .When do they receive their meals? They have one meal a day in the evening in summer and two in winter ( one in the morning and evening )
    3. How long does it every time? It takes one hour in the morning and 2-3 hours in the evening for dog care (eating, drinking, cleaning).This is the minimum without brushing and training etc)
    4. How many people are needed to feed 70 dogs? Usually just one person but we take turns so as to have a day or two off
    5. How do you exercise them during the summer? Summer and autumn we walk with groups of about 10 as they run free, and bathe in a river. Later, when the weather is cold, they pull "sleds" with wheels.
    www.wildernessactivitiescanada.com

I thought it would take longer than that and be more work. I am curious about the croquettes. The only croquettes I can think of are the breaded mashed potato things we eat occasionally. I take it it is a different thing especially for dogs.
    John

I started at the bottom and I like it here

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly View Post
    I am curious about the croquettes. The only croquettes I can think of are the breaded mashed potato things we eat occasionally.

Croquettes are what the French (& French Canadians) call the dry food/ kibble.
    Properly trained, a man can become a dog's best friend.