Thread: An enforced change of pace for Sam's walks.

An enforced change of pace for Sam's walks.

As I have said a few times I have been taking Sam out on runs. On a Monday and Wednesday we were generally running 8 miles before I went to work and on Friday 12 miles. It had taken a while to get to these distances but we had been doing this pattern for about 4 weeks now.

You tend to think dogs can just run and run but you could see Sam's fitness build up as mine did and how she had more energy on non running days.

Anyway on the last mile of Friday's run my left food really started to hurt. I had not banged it or stood on anything it just started to hurt. I thought I had probably just strained it or something. i hobbled round work on Friday but on Saturday Jo insisted I went to A&E to get it looked at. Turns out I wind be doing any running for a while.

Turns out I have a stress fracture to my second metatarsal. That is the bone in my foot that leads to my second toe. So no running with Sam and new sexy footwear for the next 4 to 6 weeks.

I've never broken a bone before and don't think I'm going to be very good at being restricted. I have to go to the fracture clinic tomorrow when they will confirm how active I am allowed to be. I am already thinking about a scooter I can use to take Sam along the cycle track to cover a decent distance without putting strain on my foot.

Today was the first walk with Sam in my new footwear.

As it is still early days I did not want to try walking too far. I took the ball chucker to help Sam stretch her legs.

Since the running is going to be curtailed for a while I might concentrate on training exersizes with Sam. If I can't tire her our physically as much, I can work on tiring her out mentally instead. Although as I say a push scooter might be an option for longer walks.
    John

I started at the bottom and I like it here

I think it's going to be hard work for me keeping John restrained. I had to practically beg him not to walk further than the park! I hope the doctor says he can walk as far ax he likes!

At the fracture clinic today they decided to put me in a proper cast so the bone healed the best way possible so it does not break again while running. The bad news is this means at least 5 weeks in crutches with me not allowed to put any weight on the broken foot. It is going to make walking Sam interesting to say the least. It will do wonders for my upper body strength though

John

Warning !!! ....jogging is bad for your health.

Here's hoping everything heals correctly....

I guess we can call you Hopalong Cassidy or Long 'John' silver in the meantime.
    Properly trained, a man can become a dog's best friend.

There are a lot of people very keen to point out that this means running is bad for you

Getting about on crutches is way harder work than I was expecting. Jo is having to walk Sam most of the time now while I build up the strength to even get to the park in a reasonable time.

PS I've already looked at getting a Pirate Parrot like this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STUFFED-FE...item1c3d4dac3d but Jo said I was not allowed
    John

As an update we had Sam at the vets as she has been limping. The vet says she has a slightly swollen knee. So we have not to walk her for 5 days, just let her out to the toilet. I told the vet that was not going to be a problem
    John

She's just a copycat .......or copydog
    Properly trained, a man can become a dog's best friend.

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly View Post
    There are a lot of people very keen to point out that this means running is bad for you
    and they're completely right. what more evidence do you need? you should have listened better.
    anyway, speedy recovery to both you and sam!