Thread: Online Dog Breed Book

Online Dog Breed Book

I was sent a link to this book

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/45377

This book is from 1900 and all about the different dog breeds. It is quite interesting. I've only just found it so not read it all yet.
    John

I started at the bottom and I like it here

Interesting. Some of the illustrations are a bit iffy so one can't really rely on them (the bull terrier & some of the spaniels in particular)....good to see the black & tan & the white English terriers though as they no longer exist but were used to create many of the terriers we know today.
    Properly trained, a man can become a dog's best friend.

No Rottweiler I noticed. It is an old breed but probably had not made it over from Germany when the book was written.
    John

I started at the bottom and I like it here

There are quite a lot of breeds not mentioned that were around in the UK at the time, ...............the german breeds such as GSD's, Rotties & dobs didn't really start to be known in the Uk until after the first world war when the the soldiers bought back specimens.( usually pups) Many breeds, even though they had been around for a long time, were not recognised as such by the K.C. until later on in the 20th century. I'm not sure if this book has anything to do with the K.C. but it might explain why many breeds were not listed as they wouldn't have been in shows & so little known about except by those breeding & using them.
    Properly trained, a man can become a dog's best friend.