Thread: Really local camping.

Really local camping.

On SongofthePaddle we review products sometimes. The most recent one i have to review is a tent from Vango. It is a big tent. A Genisis 500. I won't bore you with the details (Although I will post a link to the full review when it is done in case you are interested). Suffice to say it is a big tent, way bigger than I usually use, I am usually a hammock and tarp camper. It also has inflatable beams instead of poles which is quite different but means the set up is really quick and simple. The tent arrived on Thursday. The sun was out so i took the opportunity to set it up in the garden for an initial look over. Sam liked it right from the get go.

The girls liked it too. So much so they wanted to to camp out in the garden overnight on the Thursday. Fine by me. Sam joined them for the night but about 3am they came back in as there was something making scary noises

Friday night they wanted to try again but wanted me to join them. The difference was it was forecast to be raining and windy all night. Pretty much my usual camping weather, so I was in

Of course we took advantage of the house being so near by having all the comfy gear. camp beds, thick mats and Sam got her normal bed out with her. Gwen was shattered from the previous night so fell pretty much straight away. Eleanor and I read and chatted while Sam listened in.

After midnight we too went to sleep. the rain fell and the wind blew but the tent kept us cosy and dry. I woke briefly about 6am and everyone seemed to be curled up and sound asleep.

I was surprised the girls did not wake earlier. Sam was also not moving about much. I think she was worried that if she moved about she might get chucked out. At 7.30am the view from my sleeping bag was much the same.

A slightly elevated perspective shows the complete calm that there was. Saturday mornings are rarely this chilled in the house.

Of course nothing lasts forever. A little past 8am Sam was the first to let me know she was awake and ready for action.

Very shortly thereafter everyone was awake and chaos was upon us. Much carry on ensued along with a first breakfast of crisps and chocolate. It was just good family fun. We stopped briefly for a group selfie.

Sam wanting to help out decided to help wash my hair.

Being honest there is not a lot to be washed but she likes to be thorough.

Jo was not too keen to stay out overnight but we did manage to convince her to bring us a cooked breakfast out It was a good night and a fun morning. A nice change for Sam and I who are still hobbled for a month or so and not getting out as much. Makes me look forward more to getting out more. It also looks like I will have some volunteers to help me with the tent review
    John

I started at the bottom and I like it here

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly View Post

Must have been a good night judging by Sam's 'camping hair'

Looks like a good glamping tent, not something you would want to be humping on your back though.
    The smaller Vango tents are quite popular with the bushcraft/backpacking communities for their quality/price ratio.The Vango rucksacks have a good reputation too at the entry level.

This tent seems to have a massive porch, very useful for preparing food & eating in relative comfort when it's p....p......p.....persistantly raining.

I must say, I love Sam's bed. looks soooo comfy & is a cool stealthy colour.
    Properly trained, a man can become a dog's best friend.

The tent is certainly not one I would want to carry on my back but for canoe use weight is not so much an issue. Many canoeists are using big heavy canvas tipis which is why I want to see how this compares for that use.

I actually made Sam's bed. It is heavy duty waterproof tent canvas. The normal beds she had got damaged too easily
    John

I started at the bottom and I like it here