Thread: Isla and her first overnight camp.

Isla and her first overnight camp.

Charming pics & write up, well done sir.
    Looking at the pic showing the view of your pitch , seems like you were on a path in a forrestry plantation.. were you ?
    Lucky the dog walkers didn't see you as they are notorious for telephoning the fuzz if they spot anyone enjoying themselves in the woods.

That's quite some set up you've got there, I presume the car wasn't too far away

Isla is gorgeous & she has got her priorities right, comfortable sleeping arrangements & grub.
    Dogs growling at something in the middle distance or in the tent in the middle of the night does tend to get the old ticker pounding, even though in our gentle climes it's more likely to be a hedgehog shuffling by rather than a man eating grizz

So how did your new Highlander sleeping bag work out ? with a comfort temp. rating Of -4C you might have been flirting with it's limits, though you did have a 'bed warmer' with you.

Thanks for taking the time & effort ot post this, thoroughly enjoyed it.......
    Properly trained, a man can become a dog's best friend.

Isla is a cracking looking dog. And a good bedwarmer too I bet

Like Blacktimberwolf I am assuming you did not have to carry the set up far or are a good bit fitter than me. That's were the canoe comes in handy for a luxury set up.

Between your blogg and my camp out in the garden with the girls you have really put me in the mood for a night out in the woods.
    John

I started at the bottom and I like it here

I can only give you my name, rank and service number .
    I cannot confirm or deny that the location may have been close to a forestry plantation.

The passers by were on the very old right of way/byway/long distance footpath. My pitch is off down an old and partly overgrown track with plenty of cover between it and the main track. I did a walk by on the main track with the intention of trying to pick out my tent. I know where it is but only once managed to catch a glimpse but only because I was deliberately scanning the area and stopped to stare. There are two permanent looking set ups right on the edge of the right or way, one a converted Luton box body van and a campervan and have been there for the last 2 years that I know of. You are right there is still a high risk of being reported and moved off.

I did use the car to get the gear close by and then park it further away, in an attempt to divert attention from my pitch.

If you want the warmest and most comfortable spot then you have to move Isla. Just like me she loves good food.

I will admit that the heart did quicken the first time she growled and raised her hackles . I thought I had been rumbled by someone but all was well.

The highlander bag did work out very well. I had two good layers of insulation under me and a army poncho double up on top. At some stage Isla gained the poncho liner all to herself. I guess the tree cover, between mixed deciduous and pine provided a bit of protection from the frost? The open grass area 100 yards away was covered in frost.

I will try and share more of our adventures or at least a few photos in the coming months. That reminds me, I have a couple of walks with great views from Scotland to add from last year

I keep forgetting about not being allowed to wild camp everywhere in England. I am so used to the Scottish access laws that I tend to forget how restrictive it is for you.
    John

I started at the bottom and I like it here

Where there's a will, there's a way master John.

Although you have much wider land access & greater tolerance of wild camping up in Caladonia, you can't just pitch your tent or tarp anywhere you lke either....try making camp on the Balmoral estate, though I have heard there is an obliging ranger whom, after the proper presentations have been made & he likes the cut of your gib, will allow the odd wayfarer to pass the night under canvas in the more remote parts of the estate.
    Properly trained, a man can become a dog's best friend.