Thread: A rubbish paddle and swim.

A rubbish paddle and swim.

Every year on SongofthePaddle we organise various clean up paddles round the country. There is a regular one at Lochwinnoch. It is a two day affair with the Saturday at the RSPB's Barr Loch where paddling is not usually allowed.

This year I did not take Sam on the Saturday paddle as there is always a lot of broken glass and I did not want her getting a cut foot while she is still recovering. Jo did bring her along at lunchtime for a quick visit and a bit of a swim.

Sunday is the paddle at Castle Semple Loch. Sam joined me for this. Due to illness and other reasons there were only two canoes at this. Myself and Sam in one boat and Robbie and Euan in the other. Sam was delighted to be getting out and was all go while we got ready. Surprisingly, once we were on the water she took a far more relaxed position.

However once we started looking for the rubbish properly she soon became more focussed.

It was not just rubbish we saw. Clearing one drainage channel we passed close to this swan's nest. They did not seem overly fussed. Probably because they see a lot of humans and think of them as a source of food.

By now Sam was getting right into the swing of things. She was inspecting the rubbish as it came aboard and everything.

Sam was clearly in her happy place.

We came across another swan but this one had had a visit from a fox or the like.

That was near the river mouth. We went a bit of the way up the river. There had been a bit of rain so the river was flowing quite fast. We tucked in at a bush where a fair bit of rubbish had caught in the branches. We even found Sam a new toy. I'm not sure she is convinced about it. It is, I assure you a legitimate dog toy

We were really lucky with the weather. There had been a couple of light showers at first but now it was warm sunshine and no wind as we worked our way along the lochside.

As the years go on I am glad to say we have been finding less rubbish but you still get spots where either fishermen have left piles of garbage or wind and waves have collected a lot of debris in one place.

That said we are still far from struggling to fill the canoes with rubbish.

After a bit over three hours on the water we headed back to where we launched from. A hundred yards from shore Sam "got out" to swim back as part of her physio. I may have had to encourage her out but once in the water she was as happy as could be.

Back at the visitor centre we loaded the rubbish into the skip then headed home after a job well done. It is a bonus when doing a good deed is such a pleasure.
    John

I started at the bottom and I like it here

Looks like a nice way to spend a day Sam certainly appears to appreciate being outdoors & getting some action
    You'll never convince me that's a proper dog toy though
    Properly trained, a man can become a dog's best friend.

It's a Kong toy but I'm not sure that helps with the convincing
    John

I started at the bottom and I like it here