Thread: Carry on camping !

Carry on camping !

As mentioned in an earlier post Sissou & I (well I mostly) decided on having a night under canvas. It's the 5th time we've been out wild camping together & only the second time I've taken the camera. Since pictures speak louder than words, let us begin.

Weather was set fair, 18C in the shade, 80C in the sun (it felt like it anyway).....a mixture of cloud & sunny spells.

Here are the main protagonists of this adventure, both eager to hit the trail... the pack was weighing in at just a smidgen over 16 Kgs, which was reasonably comfortable to carry.

On arriving at our local park, Sissou took the opportunity to cool down a little before the walk really started..

Just a Monet-esque scene that I thought warrented a photo

The route was the same as in a previous blog I posted so it was difficult not to take similar pics.....
    Dog....stick, Stick...dog..sometimes the world can be so simple..

Forever onwards...

Not so much a selfie as an over the ruckie

Telling me to get a move on...

Although smelling dogs is on Siss's list or priorities, smelling dog roses ain't.......he's off

The usual paranamic pic

"Water, water everywhere, nor any drop to drink"......not for me anyway.
    Anther chance to cool off.

Passed a lovely little cemetry, people are dying to get in there...(groan)

I had better post this now as it's taking a long time & the forum's software will refuse me .....to be continued.
    Properly trained, a man can become a dog's best friend.

So where was I ? oh yes......
    Welcome to 'tickland'

Not too far now....

Nearly there, just a few steps more.

Phew !!! destination, destinated & a welcome chance to dry 'our 'backs

Sissou questioning my sanity "what we're stopping here ????

"Well if we're staying I want me grub......I know it's in there. "

Mmmmm, bush tucker..

A few views of our camping spot, looking left....

& looking right..

I'll just get this posted & join you shortly...

What kept you ?.....

This heat & being next to a river made us a target for a lot of blood thirsty wee beasties, fortunately they found Siss more appetising than me;

Our tranquillity was brutally disturbed by a herd of cows coming to drink on the opposite bank of the river...

He watched them with great 'intent'..

Later on in the afternoon, something caught his eye.

Bet you'll never guess what it was............................................... ...................A Coypu. (there's a lot of 'em round these parts) it was a big fella too.

After I had my dinner I thought we'd take a little stroll before pitching the tent....turned round to see this, bloody typical.

Anyway we had a little evening stroll, the last of the day to empty bladders & what ever else needed emptying
    Weirs this then ? .....it's an old mill no longer in use.

Fortunately, he didn't have the idea to swim as a wet dog in a small tent ......need I say more ?

I'll quickly post this then I'll get the tent up...........

Right then let's be 'aving ya !

Tent pitched & his lordship came to inspect ......I don't think he was that impressed

Comparing sticks & deciding whether or not to exchange his for one of those I used as makeshift tent peg....

The inner sanctum....

The cows came back later in the evening......4 of 'em....

The night passed peacefully & we awoke to a glorious morning.....

A little game to warm us up..

Then it was breakfast, pack everything away & homeward bound......the sun was rising fast as was the temperature........

Even though it was only 8 in the morning (that's 7 for you lot in the UK) when we left camp, it was already too warm for a coat.
    The trip back was pretty much the same as the journey in so I didn't bother to take any more pics....

Hope you enjoyed our little romp, I for one can't wait to get back out there.

Looks like a great trip. So much sunnier and warmer than here.

I'm so impressed that you have a pack weight of only 15kg. I think my food would weigh that much Speaking of food what is Sissou having for dinner? it looks like meat and rice.

It sounds like you have the same issues with ticks as we do. Did you manage to avoid getting any? I have started using a flee treatment on Sam that is meant to keep ticks off too but it is a bit hit and miss in practice.

I don't recognise the tent. It looks like a canvas one which again amazes me that you managed to keep the weight down so much.
    John

I started at the bottom and I like it here

Really enjoyed reading your write up of your overnighter.

Excellent weather, lovely looking location, delightful dog and a super light weight set up. Could it get/be any better?

I am also interested in more details about the tent and what Sissou had for dinner.

I was hoping for a chance to escape this weekend as the weather is forecast to be dry and bright with warmer nights. The plan has been pushed back to the coming bank holiday due to family and friends deciding to drop in this weekend. It will be good to see them but better if the weather was not going to be so nice.

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly View Post

I'm so impressed that you have a pack weight of only 15kg.
    Oi ! 16 Kgs if you don't mind every gram counts .....the good thing about overnighters is that the return journey is always lighter, around 4 kgs in this case as there wasn't any food left & only a drop of water, also as I knew we would be passing some rivers I didn't have to carry Siss's water in either.

Speaking of food what is Sissou having for dinner? it looks like meat and rice.
    Yep, it's a mixture of brown rice & veg & raw meat plus a few other minor ingredients.

]It sounds like you have the same issues with ticks as we do. Did you manage to avoid getting any?
    They are a blasted nuisance. We used to have break from them from November to April but now they are active all year round. I removed 11 of the blighters from Siss when we got back.

As for the tent, it is a .......

Not sure if the company exists anymore but back in 1980 it was the height of technology as far as two man backpacking tents went. (dome tents were in their infancy & really heavy at the time) aluminium alloy poles, nylon fly & ground sheet & cotton inner.
    IT originally weighed 3kgs everything included but has had a few alterations over the years...(cue the broom sketch from 'Only fools & horses)

Great write up and great place to walk, thanks. Nowhere quite the same in the English Midlands, but you got me thinking its time to look harder for some local beauty to share with Poppy dog.

Seems there are a myriad ways to remove ticks. Poppy gets them from one wood in Norfolk, everywhere else seems fine. Whats the collected wisdom here on tick removal tichniques?(sorry, could not resist).

I tend to use O'Tom tick hooks. I have a few sets about the place so one is always handy

http://www.otom.com/how-to-remove-a-tick
    John

Yeah that's the sort of thing I use too.................Siss is such a wuss though I have to really struggle to keep him in one place, usually by wrestling 'im to the floor.

Sam's fur is so dense that by the time I notice the ticks they are often big enough to pinch off with your fingernails.
    John

I'm planning to have an activity with my Labrador and I think hiking is the best one. When I saw your post, I want to do some camping with him and I think we will enjoy very much. I'm so excited!