Thread: Time to start swimming

Time to start swimming

Yesterday Sam was getting just to full of energy so I decided it was time to start taking her swimming. We drove round the corner to the local loch. Put on her doggy lifejacket and got started.

She seemed quite happy setting of to get the ball. She was not even distracted by the swans or ducks.

The swans were taking the mickey a bit. They would deliberately swim so there were in Sam's path then hiss at her as she came toward them. Poor Sam had to make a detour but I figure it was all extra swimming which was good.

Sam soon realised that she was not to go all the way to shore but should come to me to be sent out again. She could just stand whet I was so it was a bit of rest but not putting weight on her legs.

I did not want to overdo it for out first session so we only did about 5 minutes.

Sam seemed none the worse for wear after and had a little more relaxed. I think she is ready for longer sessions to drain some of her energy but I will build them up slowly so as not to do any damage. She did seem to enjoy it which is also a bonus.
    John

I started at the bottom and I like it here

Looking good. We could have done with a swim over the past two days ( we're having a mini heat wave, 30C yesterday, 29C today) but unfortunately the river is quite full & has a strong current, poor ole Siss would be swept away
    Properly trained, a man can become a dog's best friend.

And we thought we had it good at 19o. Slightly cooler over Saturday and Sunday but also really wet. Heavy rain so only took Sam for a bit of a swim today between showers.
    John

I started at the bottom and I like it here

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly View Post
    And we thought we had it good at 19o.
    You do have it good 30C again today without the slightest breeze, very uncomfortable,the nights are stiffling even with all the windows open. we had a few thunderstorms last night but that only made things more muggy.......we're on amber alert for violent storms tonight so that's something to look forward too.
    Temperatures are forcast to return to 'normal ' from next wednesday onwards.
    Properly trained, a man can become a dog's best friend.

Great photos! I think this is an enjoyable and beautiful bonding together with my dogs. I encourage my friends to do this activity with our pets and I'm sure we will enjoy.