Thread: All aboard!

All aboard!

I am always looking for ways to enjoy more of the great outdoors with Isla. A walk on the lead is good. Off lead time even better. The sight of her car harness and she gets really excited. Anywhere near water and she will find it and just has to jump in. The canoe is a different matter though, she will get in but just not settle. I have tried all sorts, lots of praise when sitting, lots of treats for good calm behaviour and giving stern command to "SIT, STAY!". I have worked out that she is not to blame, I am. I do believe she picks up subtle signs that I am uneasy when the canoe tips from one extreme to the other. I love Isla and I love my canoe but they are just not going to play well together. I really would like to explore some of our waterways together and camp overnight along the way.

I thought about a bigger boat but that would mean getting a tow hitch, somewhere to store boat and trailer, finding a slipway to launch etc. I do not quite know how but I found a possible answer. A boat that would be broader and more stable, more room for Isla to settle, fits on top of a roof rack and easy to store. Is there such a thing? Yes a folding boat. I have seen those that hinge in the middle and close up like a clam shell, but a bit bulky and heavy. Then there are the ones that fold up like making a paper airplane. I hear the cries of enough waffle and show us some pictures!

It looks quite harmless laying in the grass.

Gently tease the jaws and wedge it open.

The trap is now fully open and set. It has been known for it to easily take four adults in one go!

Now spring shut and trap me you **********!

Nose, seats and transom makes it look handsome? Well user friendly and less like a man trap.

It floats! Now dare I get in?

To my surprise Isla could not get out of the water quick enough and into the boat.

Isla decides to check for stowaways or rather to see where the treats are hidden?

Isla takes the opportunity to brief the engine room crew about todays exercise, expectation and safety drill.

Time for a quick cuddle before setting off. More like an excuse to continue drying herself against me.

Captain Isla gives the command "Full steam ahead!" and keeps a careful eye on the engine room crew.

We had a total of three trips on the river. Lots of praise along the way. At each turn around point we would land and engage in lots of play. Encourage her to get in and settle before setting off again. She seems quite happy looking forwards or backwards while in the boat. We only stopped due to a family of swans and cygnets deciding to stop and feed close by, plus the engine room was running low of fuel.

That is certainly going to be way more stable than a canoe. If you are really wanting to have the ways life I am sure it would take a small electric engine as well. The only issue would be that in Scoland you don't have the same access rights if you are using an engine.

You may even find that as Isla gets more used to being on the water in the dingy she also becomes more settled when in the canoe. Either way it looks like you could have a solution for the water based camping trips anyway.
    John

I started at the bottom and I like it here

Thought it was looking quite unstable till I saw the seatt in there. Looks like a good solution.

You're honoured sir, Peppergirl has left you a reply with more than 5 words.

A very entertaining write up as usual & like the others I had my doubts about the boat before it was fully assembled. It looks like a very versatile vessel & plenty of room to carry camping equipement (hint, hint )

Glad Isla has found her 'river legs' & can now join you on your watery escapades without rocking the boat

She probably won't like me saying this but she looks damn cute in that camo life jacket of hers.
    Properly trained, a man can become a dog's best friend.

There is something about a camo lifejacket for dogs that appeals. I nearly bought one for Sam but went for the brith orange on the theory that she would be easier to spot in the water.
    John

I am very impressed with how the boat performed and its stability. I have thought about an outboard, it will take a 6hp or any size electric. I do like the idea of the electric outboard, quieter and easier to store/transport. Just the leisure battery to maintain and charge.

The boat is 12ft 6in (3.58m) long, at its widest 5ft (1.52m) and 2ft (61cm) depth. When folded, 12ft 6in (3.85m) long x 2ft (61cm) wide and thickness of 3in (7.6cm) front to 7in (17.8cm) at rear. Maximum capacity 670lbs (305kg). It weighs about 87lbs (39.5kg) and very easy to load onto the car roof rack.

I think it will prove to be the best solution for further water based exploration and camping adventures with Isla and anyone else who cares to join in.

I had a very hard time trying to find the camo buoyancy aid for Isla, they seemed to be as rare as rocking horse poop. I did also consider the idea of the red/orange one for safety/ease of locating Isla if she was to fall overboard, especially from a powered craft or fast flowing water.

"She probably won't like me saying this but she looks damn cute in that camo life jacket of hers." She does not like comments like that, she loves them!

If you look on ebay ther are loads of camo dog PFDs to choose from.

The advantage of an outboard is you can see where you are going as opposed to rowing with your back to the direction of travel.
    John