Thread: Galloway Game Fair 2014, mostly the scurry

Galloway Game Fair 2014, mostly the scurry

This weekend was the Galloway Game Fair. As always we head down on the Saturday. There were dogs of every shape and size there. It always amazes me how few problems there are with all these dogs. You never seem to see any fights or trouble between them. Maybe people only bring well behaved dogs

Each year I keep planning to take lots of pictures of the other dogs but I am just to shy to snap away at other peoples dogs without a zoom lens so they do not know I am doing it.

As with almost all the Game Fairs we go to we entered Sam in the scurry. It is always fun to see peoples reaction to seeing a Rottweiler in a gundog dominated competition. She is never in any danger of winning but still puts in a decent performance. Sam headed off with determination on her first run.

Unfortunately she had not really been watching the dummy being thrown so did not realise she had to go over the fence. I had to run out to give her directions but then she twigged where the dummy was and it ended up being a race with me to get back.

Her second run was a lot better with a straight out and back.

We even got this run on video. Her only failing being she took the dummy straight to the organiser who was gathering the dummies. Still counted though

Her third run was perfect but we only have a photo of her ready to set off so you need to take my word for it

It was good to see Sam running so well after her surgery. I may even make the effort to put some practice in with her for next year and see if she can put in a really polished performance. I take some pride in her doing as well as she does as it is amazing how many gundogs struggle with a simple scurry. Of course that is part of the fun. Watching the dog run off fast for the retrieve only to start wandering aimlessly about, or getting the dummy but refusing to bring it back.

There are also lots of dogs who do really well. Some are like rockets out and back with the dummy in the blink of an eye. I did get some pictures of other dogs competing.

John

I started at the bottom and I like it here

I think only people with sociable dogs would be attracted to such a do......

I see that the other dogs are labs, goldies & various gun dog types which all have a natural retrieving instinct so I think Sam has far more merit & add to that she is recovering from serious surgery I think the lass deserves a big round of applause........Bravo Sam !

I noticed a few leather Aussie hats wandering about in the crowds too.....I hope I look better than they do when I'm wearing in mine
    Properly trained, a man can become a dog's best friend.

I'm sure you would have fitted right in with your hat. Sissou could have had a shot at the scurry too
    John

I started at the bottom and I like it here