Thread: A Sunday of canals and coffins.

A Sunday of canals and coffins.

As the year goes on every time we get a sunny weekend I keep thinking it will be the last. Maybe this was it. If it was then the we did at least make the most of it.

I grew up at Bishopbriggs on the outskirts of Glasgow. The Forth and Clyde canal runs nearby and I walked along it often. Back then the canal was not in use and you kind of expected it would not last long, however, it is now a fully functioning canal with canal boats, pontoons and all the rest. It has been a long time since I have been to the canal but today we decided to take Sam for a walk in the sunshine from Calder to the Stables Restaurant and back.

We started at Calder, near the church. There is a new pontoon here.

There are power points on the pontoon with taps for water. there are also huts. According to the poster this is so people can live in a canal boat and have their post delivered to the huts to collect when they are passing.

The canal path used to be just loose grit but is now asphalt. this makes it easier walking with no mud but also means it is really popular with cyclists and joggers. It seemed we were always calling Sam into heal to let people past.

We passed under a couple of bridges. When I was a boy one of these was filled in with no way under.

At the Stables Restaurant we stopped to have lunch in the sunshine. This is so how Sundays should be.

It was a long relaxing stop for lunch but after over an hour it was time to head back.

Sam checking out a marker to see how far we had to go.

She also took every opportunity to have a dip.

There were not that many places where you could get to the water as the banking is mostly repaired but Sam still found a few places to cool down before rushing back up to shake the spare water off over us.

Back at the start we had a look round the graveyard at the Calder Church.

One of the things I had forgotten about from my youth was the cast iron coffin that is in the cemetery. I was always told it was something to do with stopping graves getting robbed. Maybe you know different.

Sam waited patiently while I rose from the dead.

A phrase I use often with Sam is, "Would you steal my grave as fast?". Usually when I get off the couch to make a coffee I get back to find her in my spot. It turns out she would steal my grave just as quickly

John

I started at the bottom and I like it here

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly View Post

I grew up at Bishopbriggs on the outskirts of Glasgow.
    That explains a lot Hahaha...

At the Stables Restaurant we stopped to have lunch in the sunshine. This is so how Sundays should be.

[/QUOTE]

May look idyllic but you'd soon get tired of it....

That's what you call a sunday walk, something for everyone
    Sam didn't look too impressed with your Dracula inactment, her 'hound from hell' was much more convincing

So, for or against Scottish independance ?...
    Properly trained, a man can become a dog's best friend.

Sam has seen me in a zombie state too often to be bothered by it

I'm very proud of my Scottish nationality but happy to be a British citizen with no desire or need to change that anytime soon.
    John

I started at the bottom and I like it here