Thread: A chat with the BBC then trouble at the mill

A chat with the BBC then trouble at the mill

I had a day off work today to do an interview with BBC Radio Scotland for the Scotland Out of Doors programme. This was mostly about the Song of the Paddle forum. I was meeting the reporter at Balmaha. As usual I was there early so took Sam for a short walk in the woods.

The reporter, Mark Stephens, was early as well. We unloaded the canoe and had a paddle for about two hours. I blethered on and Mark recorded bits and pieces. Sam was with us and will no doubt be heard at times. ill post a link to the programme when it goes live. I only took one picture as I was busy chatting and paddling.

As you can see the weather was ideal. Almost no wind and mostly sunny.

We were all done by noon and I was back at the house and unpacked by 2pm. Not one to waste a day off with decent weather I took Sam for a good walk. We started by heading out along the cycle track.

I planned to head down to the Barr Loch but the path was too overgrown. I was wearing shorts and there were a lot of nettles so it was not long before I turned back.

As a Plan B I headed along the cycle track a bit further to the old water mill. This is just off the cycle track but all overgrown and an interesting spot for a bit of an explore. We came in past the waterfall from the old outflow.

We then crossed the bridge and over to the old mill building.

Inside you can see the old mill gears and mill stones.

The old gear wheels had wooden teeth. Some are lasting better than others.

Sam and I had a good poke about inside the ruins.

Then it was outside to have a look at the stream that fed the mill.

We followed it down to where it went under the bridge.

I was tempted to climb down but decided that was an adventure for another day. We headed back up toward the mill.

Time was moving on so we headed back up onto the cycle track and toward home. Stopping briefly to get a picture over the loch in the sunshine.

John

I started at the bottom and I like it here

The weather was certainly on your side.
    I doubt I'll be able to hear the programme as the Beeb's podcasts & online emmisions are usually restricted to UK shores. I can get radio 4 though.

Weather here has gone haywire again, 29C yesterday despite a thunderstorm the night before. Only 25C forecast for today but when I took Siss out for his morning walk, the sun was already uncomfortably hot.

It must be great going for adventurous walks with Sam again & not having to worry about her legs. "Getting back to normal" may look boring on paper but in real life it has a lot going for it at times.
    Last edited by Blacktimberwolf; 10th-September-2014 at 09:08 AM.
    Properly trained, a man can become a dog's best friend.

Although the weather was great it is only getting to maybe 18 as a high and the clear skies mean it is quite cold first thing in the morning. In fact I have been looking for my thin gloves to wear on my morning run.

It has been great getting back to normal. Both Sam and I are enjoying going for runs during the week. I am doing 6 miles with her on Monday, Wednesday and Friday before work. Half of the run is through the local woods so that suits Sam fine and makes it a bit more interesting for me. The only downside is it will not be long before the run is taking place in the dark.
    John

Mark sent me a short video clip with some audio that he recorded.

John

looks good. it reminds me of the ruined old mill we found once in the woods in sweden during a paddle there. that was also a great spot to explore.

Hahaha.... Sam didn't look too happy at first, scowling away there behind you..........she seemed to be much happier once she had moved forward in front of the camera & was able to show off some of her method acting
    Properly trained, a man can become a dog's best friend.