Thread: GoPro a go go

GoPro a go go

I picked up a GoPro during the week. I've plans to experiment with some filming and time lapse. However while I wrestle with those settings and wait for some mounts for different filming options I took it out to test it for taking pictures. Of course with such a wide angle lens you need to start with a selfie

I've never had a wide angle lens before so it opens up a whole new world of options. Also opens up new issues like lens flair.

The camera links to my phone which you can use a remote shutter release. That and the wide angle lens allows some interesting pictures. Like the rabbits eye view of Sam from a rabbit burrow.

These were pictures from this morning's walk. This afternoon we were on our walk at Parkhill Wood. This is a regular walk for us, however, they are installing some new seats at various view points. Only one is "open" so far so it would have been rude not to test it.

Sam want s to try the seat out for comfort. The shape acts as a wind break too. Not that Sam minds the wind. Today none of us minded the wind as it is gusty but a very warm wind.

Duke went home yesterday so it was a quieter day for Sam. I think she was quite glad to have a more relaxed day.

Soon I am going to to try making a mount for the GoPro to go on Sam. That should give some interesting pictures and video clips.
    John

I started at the bottom and I like it here

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly View Post
    Soon I am going to to try making a mount for the GoPro to go on Sam. That should give some interesting pictures and video clips.
    Should be interesting - the phone is waterproof, right? I've seen videos made by cats wearing cameras - rather unsteady pictures, it must be admitted. But Sam should be a more stable platform. Controlling the camera from your phone sounds useful.

Mary

The camera is not waterproof but it comes with a case that is waterproof to something stupid like 40m. I think there will still be a lot of bounce with it fitted to Sam but I will experiment with having it on her back or on the chest of her harness. Like I say, lots of experimenting to do.
    John

Here is a short video I took today on a run with Sam in the pissing rain. The camera is pretty unsteady as I am holding it as I run.

John

GoPro actually make a harness for their cameras specifically for mutts............

The special forces (both military & police) sometimes equipe their dogs with cameras attached to the top of thier heads,when intervening in buildings. The dogs do a quick recce whilst the soldiers wait outside watching a screen & so they can have a better idea of whom or what they are up against. Placing the camera on their heads gives more stable images.
    Properly trained, a man can become a dog's best friend.

I've seen the GoPro harness but it is a bit pricy. Since I have a spare harness knocking about and some spare clips I see DIY as the way forward I could probably even add a fitting to Sam's PFD for the canoe trips and swimming footage.
    John