Thread: Tales From Yonder .....

Tales From Yonder .....

So Siss & I headed off to the hills yesterday afternoon (for the second time this month ) for yet another night under canvas. Since the weather had been nice & cool for the past week I thought I'd take advatage of this great backpacking weather but although the temp. was forecast for around 12C it turned out to be a lot warmer than that but more anon.
    I don't often take the camera as it's a beast of a thing but as I was in fine spirits I took the thing in the hope of getting enough snaps for a blog, unfortunately for you lot, I may have gotten too many...
    I will probably be doing this in seperate parts as I'm such a slow typer, the forum's software will refuse to upload 'cause I take too long.......

Act 1

First stop barely 1 1/2 Km from home to cinch up & few straps.....

All my junk just for a night camp.....absolutely ridiculous !

After a few hundred metres I had to stop again as one of the shoulder straps was playing up......I didn't dare weigh the pack before leaving as it was considerably heavier than my usual 16 kilos due to a few winter extras,,,,normally I carry my winter gear in a Brit.army bergen which handles heavy loads much better but since it's undergoing some serious modifications to the back system in the hope of making it even more comfortable to carry, it isn't yet ready for action. As much as I like the old Karrimor I think I'm flirting with it's limitations here.

& just to finish this first installment, a few 'over the ruckies'

Siss was too busy checking out the doggy smells to do anything intersting;
    Last edited by Blacktimberwolf; 20th-November-2014 at 12:34 PM.
    Properly trained, a man can become a dog's best friend.

Act 2

There was a definate autumnal feel as we approached our domaine

I was planning on visiting some caves a few kilometres further on but by this time the heat was getting to me so I settled on a little spot I know nearer to hand.
    It's on a wooded ledge or rather a terrace on a slope, this will be our pitch for the night...

Because of the warmth I was able to dry off without getting chilled, in the meantime Siss had found a twig to knaw on...

But peace is always short lived with Siss, so he was soon anoying me, as is his want, trying to get me to play.....

Faced with such enthousiasm, what else can I do ?

Looking up from our campsite...

& looking over the ledge to the river down below...

Since Siss never knows when to stop when it comes to playing I decided to take a little bimble in the hope of changing his ideas.....

We got back & I waited for siss to cool down before giving him his chow, despite the heat, steam was coming out of his mouth as he panted (not sure it shows on the pic)

I spotted someone mooching about & Siss was getting a little too interested, smelling the air trying to locate the intruder but since I didn't want him going off to check the dude out & so give away our location I decided to put him on a lead..........he was not amused...
    Last edited by Blacktimberwolf; 20th-November-2014 at 12:06 PM.

Act 3

Time to feed the mutt

It's not because one is 'roughing it' that you should let standards slip....afternoon coffee.

The afternoon passed pretty quickly & once the sun had dropped behind the hill opposite us, not only did the temperature start to drop but It was the time I had been waiting for to get my tucker on the go.......the dog gets, whole grain rice & fresh vegatables boiled in a chicken broth with raw fresh prime lean beef whilst the old pack horse gets a cheap tin of ravioli.......there's no justice in this world

After my lavish banquet, the bush dish washer got to work...

Got the tent pitched, sort of....

Act 4 la finale !!!

It was a relatively mild night & we awoke at day break, after a quick breakfast, time to pack everything away....

All packed & after a final inspection to check I had'nt left anything it was time to hit the trail.....

"Don't be a disgrace, leave no trace"

Nothing like a nice ascent to start the day off...

One last look from on high before we start the trip back in earnest.;;;;

Blending in with the enviroment is the key to wild camping..

Well folks that's ya lot, hope you enjoyed...

brilliant thanks for sharing

Great blog and good to see you are getting out so regularly. I have not had an overnight camp this year. I really need to do something about that.

I hate to think how much weight I would have in a pack for a night away. Travelling by canoe it is just not an issue so you just don't think about reducing weight. I should probably try a lightweight night camp on foot just to see how I get on. I would be tempted to have Sam carry some of the gear but I can see her rucksack being ripped off as she runs through the undergrowth.

It is also strange to hear you talk of it being so warm. For all we have had a mild autumn the temperatures are beginning to drop now and we are starting to get frost in the mornings. Might even be snowy soon, with any luck
    John

I started at the bottom and I like it here

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly View Post

It is also strange to hear you talk of it being so warm. For all we have had a mild autumn the temperatures are beginning to drop now
    It was a surprise to me as the temperatures had finally dropped to the seasonal average (that's about 10 -12C during the day & hovering around 5C at night) but on wednesday the temp. shot up to around 18C in the shade & the mid 20's in the sun, it wasn't forecast to be so warm & sunny as that & to be honest had I known I wouldn't have gone.....give me wind, cold,rain or snow & I'm as happy as Larry but the heat just knocks me out. I had packed a warm coat & wool blanket too but they weren't needed. Ah well, better luck next time.