Thread: Snow at last

Snow at last

Last year we had hardly any snow. This year has really not been much better. At last, on Friday we had some snow. Not a huge amount but enough to lie a bit. On Saturday it was still there but a bit slushy round our usual haunts so we took the short drive up the hill a bit to a carpark with a woodland walk.

Wrapped up for the cold.

It turned out we had wrapped up too much as we were roasting quite soon after heading out. Sam of course seemed entirely at home in the snow, neither too warm or cold.

Saturday was a short walk only about an hour and not enough to satisfy our hankering for snow walking fun. If we had more time on the Saturday we would almost have certainly taken the girls sledging. Just to make the most of the GoPro of course :roll eyes:

On Sunday we were up at the crack of mid- morning There followed a full breakfast at the local coffee shop but I think we can all agree we need a hot breakfast inside us before venturing out in the cold. Today we headed back to the same spot but the plan was to fly the quadcopter for a while first then head out on a longer walk once the batteries had been run down. The camera started taking pictures even as we carried the drone from the car to the launching spot.

Jo quickly got the copter in the air. it took a while to get the hang of the controls. It was not helping that there was a bit of a wind and the fact it was a freezing wind made it a little hard to concentrate too.

Once jo had her fill I took over for a short while to let Sam have a chase.

She does so love to chase the quadcopter.

The worry is what will happen if she catches it.

She is getting closer but it has not happened yet.

With the batteries of the drone run down we put it back in the car and headed up the hill for a walk proper.

It was very picturesque with few people having been up to ruin the snowy scene.

For some reason the cold wind was not in evidence up here. We seemed to have hit the sweet spot of layers to be just the right temperature. It made for a very pleasant walk.

I always feel sorry for Sam when i call her as she comes and sits in front of me. I can't imagine it is very pleasant planting your bum in the cold snow. Not that she seems to mind too much.

When she is not sitting she is busy with the regal look. Just her, the snow and the sky.

I could have stayed out all day, Jo on the other hand wanted home for a long soak in a warm bath. I dropped Jo off at home then headed up to the woods at the edge of the village. Clearly everyone had decided to take a Sunday afternoon walk here. They were busier than i have ever seen them in any weather.

I decided to experiment with the harness for mounting the goPro on Sam. I am not sure it will every be much good for filming when on top of her as it tilts from side to side as her shoulders go up and down alternately. Still pictures from it have an interesting viewpoint.

Mounting it on her chest gave steadier footage but still a bit "swingy". The viewpoint is also a bit "interesting" for want of a better word.

Definitely more experimenting to be done. Since the wood was so busy I took the harness off Sam as she would get strange looks with the camera on her and I was more in the mood for enjoying the snowy scene that footering with a dog camera harness and explaining my spy dog to people.

Of course the real solution for the busy wood was to just stay well away from the paths wherever possible. And i am a man who appreciates any excuse to get off of the path.

There was not as much snow at these woods but it still was enough to make the familiar more interesting. It may be even more interesting tomorrow morning as these are the woods I run through and tomorrow is meant to be stupidly cold when I am out. It may be a somewhat abbreviated run.

After a good walk round some new corners of the woods it was time to head back. There was just time for Sam to stop at the viewpoint and watch the sun go down with her new friend Snowy.

John

I started at the bottom and I like it here

Ooooh you lucky so & so's......lovely set of pics by the way. Snow & dogs are always a stunning combination.

No snow here yet despite it being a little nippy ( a few degrees above zero) though this afternoon we did have a sort of drizzly sleet (if there is such a thing) but we may get a few flakes on wednesday if the weather forecast is to be believed, so I'll get the camera's batteries charged just in case.
    Properly trained, a man can become a dog's best friend.

I don't think our snow will last till the next weekend. We are meant to get a little more today but I think it will be a bit warmer and raining on Friday. We might still be able to get to some snow at the weekend but might need to travel a little further.

I'm still enjoying playing with the GoPro and the selfie stick can be used to get the low angle shots of Sam. I also got the remote shutter release for it which is handy.
    John

I started at the bottom and I like it here