Thread: Sam "benched" again

Sam "benched" again

Well we have sort of solved why Sam has had an intermittent limp. I say sort of as we definitely know why she is limping now. It is the intermittent part that is confusing. She has a broken toe. This is her with her sad face on after hearing the news.

It is really strange as she started limping out of the blue about two weeks ago. Clearly the issue was with her outside right toe as it was sore and a little swollen. Over a couple of days she got less lame and more bouncy then when jumping about she hurt it again so we took her to the vet. They thought it was a strain and gave her some anti inflammatory medicine. The result was almost instant. The swelling went down and over two days there was no sign of any lameness. After a week I took her back out running. On the Wednesday we covered 10.5km with no ill effects. Then on the Friday we did 14.5km followed by an active day at the beach. Again so sign of an issue and Sam was full of life.

Then on the Saturday we were having an easy day in the garden. Sam hopped about barking at the lawnmower then yelped and started limping again. So back to the vet on Monday and X rayed yesterday to find she has a broken toe. I have no idea how she did it as it was after a quiet-ish Saturday and she never had any sort of incident that we saw. She just seemed to develop a bit of a limp in the evening. I also don't understand how after a couple of days of Metacalm and a weeks rest she was able to do all the running and playing at the beach with no sign of the injury only to have it flare up from some mild activity.

So now the instructions are to rest her for a month. The problem I see is that after a few days on the medicine she is going to be pain free and full of beans again. I will be speaking to the vet tonight to clarify things but think after a few days I may need to start working Sam on close heal work to stimulate her and drain some of the energy from her. I feel a long month ahead.
    John

I started at the bottom and I like it here

Poor Sam, paws crossed this end for a speedy recovery...

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly View Post

I may need to start working Sam on close heal work .
    I don't know if that's an intentional pun but it's a good'n'.
    Properly trained, a man can become a dog's best friend.

It is going to be really hard to keep her from damaging it again. Yesterday she was jumping onto and off garden furniture with little sign of a limp. Today there is no sign of a limp.

We saw the X rays yesterday and it is properly broken. It is actually split lengthways with a good gap that needs to knit together. The vet is amazed she was not completely lame with it.
    John

I started at the bottom and I like it here