Thread: Sam's birthday

Sam's birthday

Sam is still on restricted duties with her broken toe. Although she has shown no sign of being in pain for weeks. However today is her birthday. She is 4 today.

As a treat I took her to the loch and got her swimming for a while to try and drain some of her energy. Then she got a bone and a new rope tug toy.

Now the bone is finished and she is relaxing in front of the fire. On Tuesday she will get an X-Ray and hopefully get the all clear to get back out and about.
    John

I started at the bottom and I like it here

Happy birthday Sam

Happy belated birthday wishes Sam.....................it was Siss's 5th birthday on the 13th & I completely forgot. That bone would have gone down a treat with 'im but he wouldn't have any teeth left afterwards....

Good luck today with your X-ray results & here's hoping you get the all clear.
    Properly trained, a man can become a dog's best friend.

X ray results show a pretty big gap still. Need to go back for another X Ray in 8 weeks. Because Sam seems so unperturbed or effected by the injury they are saying we can start lead walks and build up but not sure how fast they are thinking of us building up. Sam is already wanting to go full pelt at the least opportunity.

The options are either the bone will have fused by the next X Ray or it is much the same but still causing no problems. Either of these means no more action. If, however, the toe keeps swelling up or giving Sam problems and has not healed then the next step would be amputating it. It is pretty much a spare toe anyway with amputation not causing any issues but still not something you rush into. Still not no idea how she broke it.
    John

Let us hope it doesn't have to come to amputation.......has Sam been spayed ? I ask as early neutering (especially before puberty)can lead to bone problems such as osteoporosis in bitches.... might explain the fracture & it's reluctance to heal if she has' been done'
    Rotties do have more than their fair share of bone cancers too which can fragalise bone but a tumour would no doubt have been seen on the X-rays.
    Tis a mystery to be sure.
    Properly trained, a man can become a dog's best friend.

She is spayed. All in all it is a mystery. She has always been fed top notch food so it is not like she has had dodgy nutrition. I don't think it will come to amputation. From what I can see she is already at a stage where she is pain free and fully mobile. If it were not for the x Ray we would have been running her and excersizing her as normal for the last few weeks.
    John