Thread: It's not affection, it's a grass seed !

It's not affection, it's a grass seed !

It's that time of year again . My present Doberman, Susan, was wiping her face on my Song of The Paddle Tee-shirt [cheek !] when I smelled a rat as she is not an overly affectionate dog. We had just been for a walk and she had been "crop bouncing" in a hay meadow. Sure enough, it wasn't loving she wanted, it was for one of us "two-legs" to remove the hayseed that has lodged in her eye. So here's a warning = it's THAT time of year when they get these irritations. I recommend the O'Tom tick twister for the external pest - ticks. You get a satisfying BBQ smell from removing the latter with a fag end, but you may need treatment for a bite from a less than grateful pooch !.

Sam had about a dozen ticks on her from the last trip to Loch Lomond. The tick hooks took care of them easily. Her spot on treatment is meant to mean they should drop off within 24 hours but I have not seen any sign of that.

I would never burn them off as it stresses them and they can regurgitate their last meal making an infection of Lymes much more likely.
    John

I started at the bottom and I like it here

Absolutely agree, burning ticks off is a daft idea, not a serious proposition. It's a leftover from the days when all those black and white safari films starring Victure Mature were on the go [remember him : a graduate, alongside Robert Mitchum of the "wooden plank" school of acting]. Dogs and humans don't like being burnt, and Susan would certainly take a chop at anyone trying it [Doberman = German, see, very little sense of humour, unless it's some-one else's foot on the banana skin], plus there is a danger of leaving the head of the tick still in place. River leeches in the tropics on the other hand ......

i like the smell of burning ticks in the morning...
    it's somehow very satisfying to incinerate them after you pulled them out. although that might say something about me more than about tick removal