Thread: Sam's week in Arisaig, the photo blogg

Sam's week in Arisaig, the photo blogg

As has become the norm we had a week on the north west coast of Scotland. We booked our favourite cottage about half way between Arisaig and Morrar. It is an ideal location right on sandy beaches and almost all to ourselves. Plus it is a five minute drive from Mallaig with shops and lots of place to get fish and chips made with freshly caught fish.

First we just need to drive there. The car was loaded and we set off. Sam is never sure which adventure location we are going to but is always happy to get comfy and see where we arrive.

Our days follow a pretty regular pattern. Some elements can swap places but the usual items are a few hours playing in the sea. A walk along the coat involving paddling and rock pool investigating. A trip to Mallaig or Arisaig for food and or supplies. Little if any of this is dependent on weather. We don't come for the weather and we come prepared.

The first day was overcast but warm enough, especially in a wetsuit. We had inflatable stand up paddle boards with us and much fun was had climbing on and falling off of these. Sam and Jo watched on a little more reserved than the girls and me

Our first choice for a meal was a dog friendly restaurant where the staff actually remember Sam each year now. She gets thoroughly spoilt and they also have doggy ice cream on the menu. The carrot one being Sam's favourite.

Come the evening it is time to light the fire and settle down on the couch to read, chill and watch TV. Sam was especially adept at the chilling part.

Monday saw the start of a run of good weather, which had not been forecast but which we embraced anyway. Not that it changed our plans. Out on the water. Sam getting a little more involved.

Pretty soon she was always out on or around the boards. It added a certain randomness to balancing.

Pictures where no one is falling in are in the minority.

As you can see.

Sometimes Sam would head for shore.

But usually she was with us on the boards or in the sea having fun and getting tired out.

It was not all playing in the sea though. We did a lot of walking along the coast and beaches. With the sunny weather it felt wrong to be in the house for any amount of time.

There are not many places where you get scenery like this to yourself.

After a few days of really good weather it got a little more overcast but still pretty bright. Sam was settling into the routine and mastering her paddle board

When she was not busy tipping me in, that is.

As the week wore on you could tell how much exercise Sam was getting by how she would take any opportunity to grab a rest. Not quite sure why she needed the high ground for this nap while we were changing from our wetsuits.

Sam really enjoyed the playing in the sea and the walks but was equally happy wandering round Mallaig.

At night she was getting on the couch after her dinner and sleeping like the dead till morning.

Friday saw a big change in the weather. The heavy rain showers that had been forecast for the whole week finally arrived. It made an interesting change at the beach.

It was windier too but not wildly. On Saturday there were storm force winds with gusts over 40 mph but as we were leaving that morning we did not get to play in the really big waves Still not to complain. It is not like we did not have enough fun.

So that is the highly abbreviated rundown of our week away. It was great fun and we will be booking the cottage for next year very shortly. I already posted the video Sam took but may have a whole trip video edited together at some point. I'll post it hear if I get round to it.
    John

I started at the bottom and I like it here

Looks like dog heaven, pretty good for us primates too.Very envious.
    Didn't know ice cream for dogs existed, hope Siss doesn't find out. It's always amazing how Sam can get comfortable anywhere & nod off.
    Thanks for sharing & it was certainly refreshing to see a bit of rain,even if it was only digital.
    Properly trained, a man can become a dog's best friend.

It was a great break. Sam can pretty much get comfortable anywhere. I think there is a high proportion of cat in her.

We are off for a week in Lanzarote next Monday so will get a break from the rain for a week then.
    John

I started at the bottom and I like it here