Thread: Kes's last paddle was not Kes's last paddle.

Kes's last paddle was not Kes's last paddle.

Kes is back for a visit for a week. He is getting on in years and every time we watch him his owner thinks it will be the last. He is not steady on his feet but still happy and bright so canoeing is something he loves. So today when the weather and opportunity to paddle both aligned the choice was obvious.

So into the car and off we went to Castle Semple for a paddle. When he gets his lifejacket on Kes knows its time for an adventure.

Kes has been paddling long enough now to quickly settle in for the trip. The addition of a mat in the bottom helps with warmth and comfort.

There was a bit of wind at the start but nothing dramatic. It was blowing down the loch so I could look forward to an easy ride on the way back. First off we paddled round the bottom of the loch.

A trip in the canoe is not hard work for either of the dogs but there is plenty of mental stimulation with all the birds to watch as well as the trains that pass along the line nearby.

We paddled past the mouth of the river. Just out of shot was a fisherman in a SOT. He seemed to be having a good day paddling a bit then casting a lure for a while. I noticed he had a GoPro on a headband too to film any catches.

I often look at Sam sleeping at home in her bed and wish I could be that comfortable. I like to think I am pretty happy and comfortable in a canoe but looking at them I feel that Kes and Sam are ahead of me in this respect.

Paddling up the loch there is a short section of long reeds. I need little encouragement to paddle through these but had a good excuse anyway as I saw a flash of orange on one. It was this lure. One of the disadvantages for the bank fishermen is when you snag a lure it is lost. Quite glad I saw this before the SOT fishermen as I have a friend who is always asking me if I have found him any.

I thought going through the reeds would gee the dogs up a bit but they were into some serious chilling by now.

Near the top of the loch it was time to turn. Sam stretched her legs a bit. I suspect more to get a better view of a train that was passing than because she was stiff.

Looking the other was I think Sam realised the same thing I did. The wind had gone. Still at least it had not swung round to be in my face on the way back.

Legs stretched both dogs settled down for a relaxed paddle back. I was going to land for a while to let them have a look about and a bit of an explore but all the handy spots had fishermen in place so we just kept going, all be it at a leisurely pace.

Nearly back at the car there was just time for one last group photo of me and my posse

It was another great paddle. Just a couple of hours on the local loch but such a great return on the little effort it took.
    John

I started at the bottom and I like it here

Lovely pics John, Sam is looking great & it's always a pleasure to see old Kes still enjoying the canoe.
    Properly trained, a man can become a dog's best friend.

I do enjoy taking Kes out. It is a bit of work but at 17 it is the closest to a long walk he gets now to see the outdoors.
    John

I started at the bottom and I like it here