Thread: Coniston Coppermine Valley Walk

Coniston Coppermine Valley Walk

Today is my birthday, so I decided to go up to Coniston for a walk on the fells. I took Wren my English springer spaniel and a working cocker called Charlie. It's Charlie's 1st birthday today. He's not mine, just borrowed for the day.

Charlie

Charlie and Wren

The sun was shining as we reached Coniston. Stopping briefly to buy some birthday cake for Charlie and I, we decided to explore the Coppermines Valley.

We started at the Black Bull and walked up the gravel track with the grassy slopes of Long Crag on the right. Climbing steadily into Coppermines Valley with Church Beck on our left, we pass the Miners Bridge. I decide that I may as well see if both dogs will walk at heel off the lead. There's no one about if it all goes wrong! They are both ace, except Charlie wants to walk on the right but at least he's staying with me.

The Old Man of Coniston to the left, Brim Fell, Swirl How, Black Sails and onto Wetherlam. The white building is the youth hostel. It was a perfect day to climb the Old Man but today I was content to explore the valley and work my dogs.

The engine shaft wheel pit in the distance.

The Old Man of Coniston

I decide to see if I can walk Wren at heel and work Charlie in some short bracken on the left. No one will believe me but it worked!

Old Mine buildings

We turned left at the youth Hostel, stopping to explore a couple of mine levels. I took my head torch and we went in, both dogs walking at heel, until the water got too deep and before we reached the danger sign.

We crossed the footbridge over Levers Water Beck and looked up to the waterfalls.

Heading up to Simon's Nick taking care as it was very steep with lots of loose rock. Both dogs were off the lead and stayed close. Normally I would have scrambled up to the top but with the dogs skirted round instead to the dam on Levers Water.

Looking back down the valley

Working Wren whilst keeping Charlie at heel was a little more challenging. He does it for so long then decides he just has to join in! But we got there in the end.

Levers Water

I forgot to tell the dogs that the water may be a wee bit chilly! But they went in anyway.

We headed for Boulder Valley.

Inquisitive locals, the dogs took no notice.

Charlie was hunting well for me whilst Wren walked at heel. Why can't they do this when I'm in training classes! No one will believe me.

There was some nice bracken so I did some retrieves for both dogs, getting one to sit whilst the other fetched the dummy. Both were steady to the thrown dummy. Both dogs were ace, only fetching the dummy when I sent each dog in turn by their name. It feels great when it goes right (which isn't often for me!!).

Put your ear straight!

After that we sat on a rock in the sun in this superb mountain scenery. I will never tire of this valley, it's beautiful especially on a day like today.

Time for coffee and birthday cake. Charlie, don't tell your dad you ate cake, it's a secret!

I tried to get a picture of all of us. Balancing camera precariously on a boulder, I had 10 seconds to get me and two dogs into the right place! This will have to do.

We carried on down Boulder Valley towards the Pudding Stone.

Looking down towards Coniston with the Gondola.

A bit more hunting up and a couple of blind retrieves with Charlie and then Wren.

The Pudding Stone, the largest boulder in the valley.

Looking back up the valley.

The slate mine.

Looking across to Irish Row, a row of cottages named after the Irish miners who once occupied them.

This is lovely ground for spaniels.

Both of them walked perfectly to heel all the way back down to the Miners Bridge, although it may be because they were knackered!

We headed back to the Black Bull for a birthday drink, a pint of Bluebird.

After that we headed for a favourite place of mine, Low Peel Near on the east shore of Coniston Water.

The pictures aren't very good as it was straight into the sun. We did some water retrieves. Again, both dogs only went when I sent them.

Just to prove it!

Playtime, they've earned it.

A passer by made my day when he stopped to chat and said that my dogs were very well trained.

A great day to spend my birthday. Thank you Wren and Charlie for taking me on your adventures. I don't want to give Charlie back!

Happy birthday Charlie

Cheers,

Lynne
    Last edited by Lynne; 12th-October-2015 at 10:15 PM.

Great pictures and a great walk. My birthday is in June and I rarely get weather that good for a birthday day out.

You should be very proud of the training. It is difficult enough to train a dog to hunt and retrieve but getting a spaniel to heel is, I understand, a real black art. Containing something with that much energy is not easily done.

What age is Wren? She seems quite slight for a working springer, indeed she does not look much bigger than Charlie, your on loan, cocker.
    John

I started at the bottom and I like it here

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly View Post
    Great pictures and a great walk. My birthday is in June and I rarely get weather that good for a birthday day out.

You should be very proud of the training. It is difficult enough to train a dog to hunt and retrieve but getting a spaniel to heel is, I understand, a real black art. Containing something with that much energy is not easily done.

What age is Wren? She seems quite slight for a working springer, indeed she does not look much bigger than Charlie, your on loan, cocker.
    Thanks John.

I was very lucky with the weather and to borrow Charlie for the day.

Wren is 15 months old, completely bonkers and never still! Her mother is only small but a successful working dog. Springers seem to be getting smaller.

I was very proud of both dogs. Charlie was given to my friend because he had been bought as a pet and the owners couldn't cope with him as he's from working lines. Only 10 weeks ago Charlie wouldn't recall and disappeared over several fields! He wouldn't bring a dummy back either. The fact that I could work him with my dog is a credit to my friend who trained him. I can't help but smile when I take Charlie out. But I don't think I'll be taking him in my canoe yet!

I'm working on steadiness with Wren so was very pleased with her whilst I was out. Wren is my first spaniel and has driven me mad at times but she is great fun and training her has been very rewarding. I need to carry on with my training.

Cheers,

Lynne

I am always amazed at people who buy a dog from a working line, like some sort of badge of honour, as a family pet and then are shocked that they can't cope with how active it is and how much training and exercise it needs. Often times they compound it as it is not even a suitable breed in the first place for their lifestyle.

When I am overlord of the world it will all be very different
    John

I started at the bottom and I like it here

What a smashing pair of dogs, and so well behaved. Lovely photos too. Can't beat the Lake District for landscape etc.. Especially if the "etc." involves a 16 foot Canadian canoe. Charlie looks as though he knows he is a "posh" dog.

very nice pictures, i enjoyed tagging along on your walk! these kind of days, when the weather is great and the dogs being tired out by performing well and being totally happy, are the best

i'm glad to hear that charlie found a good home. what i've seen is that often in these situations, dogs are written off as "problem dogs" or the misguided owners think "they're just crazy" and leave it with that, with no understanding or respect for the needs and abilities of the dog. good that charlie's former owners had more sense.