Thread: What do you take when walking the dog?

What do you take when walking the dog?

What do you take with you when you walk the dog?

For short walks the things I always have are a whistle, a lead (leash), some treats and some poo bags. I may also have a ball, dummy or frisby for throwing and retrieving.

For longer walks I may have more stuff for myself but not usually for Sam. I will probably not have anything for throwing as I don't want to carry it that far. I probably should take water for Sam but she either shares mine or just drinks from streams and lochs.

I have heard of people taking a doggy first aid kit and it sounds like a good idea but I am just not that organised.

What is your essential dog walking kit?
    John

I started at the bottom and I like it here

Poo bags (scented), mp3 player, hat, raincoat, cigars, phone, torch.

Beer money, as one of my dogs is trained not to pass a pub

I do feel Sam's pub dog training need more work
    John

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly View Post

What is your essential dog walking kit?
    I don't have one..................................for short walks my enthousiasm is usually enough & for longer hikes I"ll just chuck a few items I think I may need into a daysack depending on where we"re going & what I hope to be doing. I do tend to take the camera with me more often now & it's not one of those little compact jobbies either but a heavy, bulky Ginormous thing

I was going to say that a camera is essential, you know, for bloggs but now I find I can get by with the camera on my phone. My phone is in a waterproof case so I don't need to worry about the rain.

I do prefer the instant reaction of a DSLR and the options available with a super zoom compact camera I have. But like most things the one you have with you is the best one.
    John

I have a rig that looks like this,

It is another pet gimmick designed to take your money but it is good for city walks.
    If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
    Carl Sagan

My doberman has to have a stick to carry around with her. However, and a tip for other forum users, NEVER take, or let your dog play with, a real stick. I always take two rubber sticks with me. One for Susan to carry, and one for her to chase. That way she won't end up at the vets with a stick wedged in her oesophagus or worse. Been there, done that !.

Hunter is part beaver so real sticks are what it is all about.

If he is dumb enough to swallow, well I have needle nose pliers and a bottle of whisky.
    If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
    Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    I have a rig that looks like this,

It is another pet gimmick designed to take your money but it is good for city walks.
    My ex wife game me one of them. Not sure what that says. I tend to use a collapsible bowl I have in my bag and just share the water I have. Well on the occasions when I have any water with me.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndcornets View Post
    My doberman has to have a stick to carry around with her. However, and a tip for other forum users, NEVER take, or let your dog play with, a real stick. I always take two rubber sticks with me. One for Susan to carry, and one for her to chase. That way she won't end up at the vets with a stick wedged in her oesophagus or worse. Been there, done that !.
    I've seen the plastic sticks and while I can see the benefit of them as a fetch and play toy I would have been really concerned if my ex wife had bought me one of them. They are probably too graphic for a family friendly site
    John

I have the collapsible bowl too, the theory being that I would use it on canoe trips but typically we find an eating rock at every campsite so it lives in the trunk of the car with all the other dog stuff.
    Carl Sagan

Mine is actually a collapsing cup thing that is meant to be for me but I drink out the bottle. It is the cup version of this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sea-to-Summi...ef=pd_sim_lp_1
    John

Something to tie my hair up with when I get hot, John and Sam

I don't have that problem!

Poo bags (scented), mp3 player, hat, raincoat, cigars, phone, torch.
    Now there's a man with style.

All we require is someone else to be having a picnic so Ludo can raid it.
    It's starting to get embarrassing.

Mike

Dog : Lead, Poo Bags,Treats,Tennis Ball and Water.
    Me : Treats, Phone, Thumb Stick.

I've been thinking about getting a small compass to take with me on longer walks. Btw - Who remembers Tuff Wayfinders, they had a compass set in the heel with animal paw prints on the sole, best shoe ever imo.
    David

My children tell me I have more photos of the dog than I do of them.

On stinking hot days my lurcher suffers from overheating, so I take a dog coat made of towelling, which I soak in water for her from some source along the way. (In the UK you are never THAT far aware from a tap, puddle or river etc)

If walking locally I just take the dogs and their balls on ropes. If going further afield, I have leads, balls, poo bags.