Thread: Houston, we have beaver !

Houston, we have beaver !

Let me cast you back to the 9th of December. Whilst walking along the river I noticed what might have been beaver activity on the opposite bank. This looked interesting so Siss & I went over to investigate.

It looked pretty impressive close up,

It was very warm for the time of year & the water was so inviting;

For comparison

Part 2 to follow.
    Properly trained, a man can become a dog's best friend.

Part 2.

About a week ago I saw from afar, that the beaver(s) had brought down the tree & today both the urge & the weather coincided for us to return to the crime scene & get a better look.

The tree is well & truly felled.

It was a lot colder today & the water a lot higher, so we stayed ashore

I got what I think are tracks of the beast, you can just about make out the shape of the tail in this one,

& some paw prints, unfortunately I didn't have anything to use for scale but they were as large as Siss's paw prints.

Forgot to add this earlier. I don't know if it was by chance or by skill but the tree fell perfectly in between the trees standing all around,

which allowed the beavers to dine on the bark in safety at the water's edge;

That's an impressive bit of felling. I suspect more by luck than judgment but can't be sure. Beavers have been dropping trees for a very long time.

We have only very recently got beavers back in Scotland and that is only a test introduction. Not sure how long it will be before we have any local enough to see on a regular walk.

How is Sissou with the Beavers or are they pretty much in the water all the time so no chance to chase them?
    John

I started at the bottom and I like it here

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly View Post

How is Sissou with the Beavers or are they pretty much in the water all the time so no chance to chase them?
    We haven't actually seen any yet ................ Although they don't have to, since there isn't a great deal of human presence in the near vicinity, I think they're reserving their lumberjacking activities for the wee small hours.
    Although the European Beaver isn't quite as big as it's North American cousins, they are still pretty large critters (up to 35kilos) so should we ever come face to face with one I'm sure Sissou would keep a safe distance away.

35 Kilos!!! Sam is only 33 kilos. I always think of beavers as being about the same size as an otter for some reason.
    John

Beaver update.

Took Siss along the river this morning for his morning walkies & I noticed that the felled tree had been completely stripped of it's bark. (sorry for the bad pics, I had to use the zoom)

So I had a good look around for any other signs of recent activity & whilst I was standing by the bank I saw a beastie floating on the surface being carried by the current....I managed to get a few shots before Siss came running up & scared it away........now we have some Coypu in the area but even after doing a little research on the net I'm still not sure if this critter is a beaver or a large Coypu. They are very difficult to tell apart without seeing the tail. I was about 20 meters away & it did look a little bigger than the average Coypu I see.
    Anyway here are the pics of what might be a European beaver..

This was less than 75 meters from the felled tree & I did hear the typical loud splash of a beaver diving on the other side of the river a minute or so after taking these pics so they are definately about.
    Last edited by Blacktimberwolf; 3rd-March-2016 at 08:39 AM.

I'm impressed you managed to get such good pictures. Any wildlife encounters I have with anything really interesting are usually too brief to allow getting s decent picture.

The next step will be you doing a stake out
    John

Bad news alas. I sent the pics to a fella who knows a lot more than I do about these critters & he confirmed that it was a coypu (' Ragondin' in French) & not a beaver. I guess it was too good to be true & far too easy.
    If I do manage to get an undoubtable photo of a beaver I'll post it here.

Think of it as keeping the challenge alive. Something to keep working toward
    John