Thread: Thoughts needed on my dog and Halloween

Question Thoughts needed on my dog and Halloween

Hello, Dog Walk Bloggs thanks for the add to this forum.

I understand that it's a little early but My wife loves Halloween and insists on planning for it nice and early so she is all planned for the holiday she loves. For the past couple of years, she has been going to haunted houses and Halloween parties celebrating this holiday. For Halloween coming up, she has decided she wants to get my 2-year-old Doberman involved by dressing him up as her sidekick/devil dog or something along the lines and then going out to one of the local events.

I suppose the first question would have to be, Do you think it's appropriate to dress a dog up? what are your concerns?
    Have any of you guys dressed your dogs up before?
    Did you train your dogs to wear outfits?
    How did you train your dogs to wear outfits?
    And pretty much anything else that you guys think is important.

Cheers
    Example image of something I have found online (I think it looks pretty cool)

I may have occasionally dressed Sam up

There are quite a few other pictures on here but probably not showing now due to photobucket changing their terms.

Anyway dressing your dog up is okay as long as it is okay with the dog. The secret is to make it okay with the dog. It is like when I have had to get the dogs used to wearing PFD (life Jackets) in the canoe. First you need to make sure it is a comfortable design and then introduce the dog to wearing it in stages and reward as you go along. Every dog is different and some are more accommodating / less bothered than others. Sam will pretty much dress her up in whatever and she will just get on with it. Marlowe takes some time to adjust then settles into it.
    John

I started at the bottom and I like it here

Thanks for the reply and for the great pointers.

Your dog looks awesome and surprisingly happy! This is just what I wanted to see. We are going to start slowly introducing her into a costume and treating her as you said above so it is more like a treat than a chore. Also, I am on my way over to the image section to see if I can fish out some pictures of dogs in costumes.

Jeez, it's been yonks since I logged in. For anyone who's interested, both Siss & I are fine.
    Hmmmm, dressing up mutts. I've never disguised a dog but I have no problems with it for a photo shoot or a special occasion as long it doesn't traumatise the dog.
    John has already outlined the gist of it but as for training them to accept it I guess the old 'little & often' with a tasty reward would be the best if the dog shows a certain reticence. if however, the dog shows evident signs of fear or being seriously ill at ease, you'd better forget the idea, it's not for him.
    Properly trained, a man can become a dog's best friend.

I'm probably looking in here every other day.....

To test out Doberman out with the costume first we are going to need a costume. I have had a look on this site I use http://www.for-sale.co.uk/dog-halloween and a few other and just seem to be coming up with small dog costumes that will never in a million years fit my Doberman. Do any of you guys know of a site that sells big dog costumes?

I’ve never bought a costume so can’t give a definite answer. The only place I’ve really seen them is on eBay but I’m sure Amazon have them. Etsy might be worth a try too as you may get someone who would make it to size.
    John

I started at the bottom and I like it here