Thread: Any ideas?

Any ideas?

My dog is 9 years old and I looked up the life expectancies of a shih tzu male dog and it is 10-15 years. Since he is getting older I wanted to get him in to better shape and do more things with him. I already take him on walks but do you guys have any other Ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keeping your dog in good shape is always a balance between feeding and exercise. A slim dog is a healthy dog.

Activity wise I always find it is best to find something you enjoy. Dogs love most activities so finding something you will stick with is probably more important. I enjoy a morning run with the dogs so that sticks as a routine. Other people love training their dog new tricks and having them do retrieving or scent work. So I guess the question is what activities would you like to do with the dog and how much time do you have?
    John

I started at the bottom and I like it here

I echo John's comment above but since your Shih tzu is already a senior, any activities should take that into account. These small breeds often have undiagnosed heart abnormalities & joint problems so, gently & slowly does it. If he is a little podgy then gradually reducing his grub & eliminating titbits combined with his normal walks would be more benificial for him than fell running or marathons.
    Properly trained, a man can become a dog's best friend.