Thread: Dog tucker.......

Dog tucker.......

Right then, what do y'all feed your dogs on ?..............I want to change the crap I've been giving my dog so far & so I'm looking for ideas.

I'm a big fan of the convenience of dried dog food. When I first got Sam I bought a big bag of Bakers but got pelters from pretty much everyone I know with a dog. So. Moved onto Wainrights which I still feed although I went through a couple of bags of James Wellbeloved but did not notice any benefit for the extra money.

I like the idea behind the raw meat and bones diet but not sure it would be practical for the way I live.
    John

I started at the bottom and I like it here

We've been feeding ours on CSJ fit n fast.
    Not always that easy to find but if you root through the website (Link) they list suppliers.
    It seems to suit our boy and is not astronomically priced.

Mike

CSJ Champ for our Charlie, not easy to find so we get it delivered. It's a dry kibble which was recommended/used by the breeder of our dog. We sometimes mix in some canned dog food or cooked chicken as a special treat.
    David

My children tell me I have more photos of the dog than I do of them.

I'd not seen CSJ before. Had a look at the site and can't believe the price
    http://www.csjk9.com/productcart/pc/...3&idcategory=6

Surely that is a mistake. A 15kg bag of their top of the range for for less than 15
    John

Maybe the cost is a reflection of low overheads, eg no real marketing, more word of mouth, and not making the extortionate profits other companies make.
    My local supplier has pretty much given up selling any other brand now, except for one or two die hard customers, every one else has changed to CSJ, partly due to cost and also it does seem to be as good as more expensive brands.

Mike

Actually looking back I linked to their cheapest, where as I thought this was their top of the range. I have emailed them to ask what they recommend for a Rotty as they don't have a specific large breed mix.
    John

Thankyou for your replies

Had a look on the CSJ website. The fit'n'fast for example, which works out at around 7 for 5 Kg; is about the same price as something like Pedigree or fido which is .............how can I put this politely........utter crap. it's basically just meat flavoured cereal husks. Looking at the ingredients of the CSJ stuff, it does seem to contain a lot of cereals as well; maize (corn), barley & oats. No idea what 'prairie meal' is but it sounds cereal-ish to me too.(probably a colloquiale term for grass seed.)
    Apart from the salmon (no doubt the bits the human food industry can't use; heads, fins, tails etc.) & the chicken fat, I don't see what the other plant derived products are doing in a dog's diet...............it also states that it contains no artificial preservatives but ' Natural antioxidants' yet doesn't say what they are.....Sounds suspicious to me.

e.g.
    Composition
    Salmon, Maize, Barley, Chicken Fat, Prairie Meal, Chicken Liver, Oats, Unmolassed Beet Pulp, Full Fat Linseed, Alfalfa, Peas, Dicalcium Phosphate, Yeast, Potassium Chloride, Milk Thistle, Marigold, Seaweed, Mint, Yucca Schidigera, Rosemary.

Mmmmmm.....I'm not convinced.. the search continues
    Last edited by Blacktimberwolf; 13th-June-2013 at 11:16 AM.

I feed dry food but scour for ingredients that do not include animal derivatives. Some of the independent pet shops buy from the big top dog food makers, it's just packaged in plain bags and does not come in pretty shapes.
    I am struggling a bit finding my perfect food since moving to Scotland - I had a great place in Blackburn!

This will be of little help to those who don't live in my area i.e. Somerset/Devon, but we have a local farmers conglomerate called Mole Valley Farmers who sell all manner of things, including dog food.
    They do their own make (don't know who really makes it) called Dr Mole ( it's dry kibble) which is for working dogs and costs less than 10 for 15kgs. It's pretty cheap because, being for working dogs it incurs no VAT, although even with VAT it would still be well priced.
    Okay, I know our Tommy isn't a working dog, but we've fed him on this since we've had him and my father in law has fed his springers on it for years and they all seem to do well on it.
    I also mix some tinned meat, or occasionally some of our left overs with it to make it more interesting.

The reason I'm posting this, is that maybe you have a similar type company in your area that stocks well priced dog food.

I got a reply from CSJ saying there were three of their foods that should suit Sam

1. Champ!
    2. Complete Tripe
    3. CP21
    They are sending me samples of all three for her to try, which is good of them. Will need to see if she likes them.
    John

I've fed raw, which was a feel-good exercise but complex imho.

Now feed Arden Grange, which I love.

I did an essay on Bakers' at uni......lots of dodgy ingredients and 4 that have been banned for human use by the EU....scary
    "Time to get up from the PC and go off-line. I'll be on-trail" Anonymous

I got the moles from CSJ through the post. They were quite small but free so you can't complain. Sam happily ate them all. She is not a fussy eater.

Having looked at the ingredients online I think that Champ is probably quite similar in quality to the Wainwrights I have been feeding. The Complete Tripe seems better quality ingredients so I have ordered a couple of bags of that to see how we get on. It is quite a saving and hopefully a step in quality so a win win, hopefully.
    John

My dogs are fed half raw, half dry. The dry complete food of choice for my gang is Simpsons - grain free and high quality. I am really happy with it.

http://www.simpsonspremium.com/sensitive-dog-food

All three of my dogs are fed raw (two of them for the 7yr I've had them, and the other for the 18mth I've had her). I shop at Bolton Market and an Asian market not far from there. The dog's food includes pork belly (with ribs), pork hearts, pork tongue, pigs ears, pigs kidneys, beef heart, beef tongue, beef stomach (tripe), beef liver, beef kidneys, sheep's hearts, sheep's stomach, sheep's liver, sheep's kidneys, sheep's lungs, sheep's ribs, goat ribs, rabbit (sometimes with head, feet and fur still on), chicken, turkey, mackerel, sardines. I also keep a lookout in the reduced price section at Tescos for any of the more expensive meats at lower prices.

At current prices it costs me approx 12 per week per dog (I'd be interested to hear other people's costs), and buy about a month's worth at a time that I keep in a small chest freezer that a friend gave to me. When I get the stuff home I bag it into 3-dog portions and, other than perhaps dividing it up for the individual dogs each evenings (they get fed once per day) that's the only preparation I do.