Thread: The secret life of the dog

The secret life of the dog

One of the better documentaries about dogs I have seen. Parts 1-3

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
    Carl Sagan

Parts 4-6

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
    Carl Sagan

Thanks for posting this, Lloyd. A very interesting programme.

I remember watching it when it was first shown 3 or 4 years ago. The bits that mainly stuck in my memory were the scarily clever border collie, and the fox breeding experiment. (Although I was a bit unhappy about the sterile environment the test foxes had to live in.) It makes perfect sense that once you selectively breed only from the tamer foxes, you develope a reliably tame strain. But what's surprising is the way you also start getting such variety of colour and shape. That surely must be linked to how we got so many different kinds of dogs, even if they all started from wolves.

Good stuff.

Mary

I think I have seen this. Will need to watch again when I have a better note rent signal. At first I thought it was the programme where they filled a house with cameras and filmed what the dog did during the day while the owners were at work.
    John

I started at the bottom and I like it here

Amazing programme. The fox experiment had been going over 40 years now and they are being sold as pets they are so tame. Most of it is down to tamer animals being being neotenised, rather like never growing up, hence the flop ears and puppy behaviours being maintained.

The conceptual work, like the stuff the border collie was doing is something I am researching at the moment. Someone who you may want to see on you tube is ken Ramirez, absolutely amazing. Every dog is capable of these things I went to his lecture in Edinburgh last month and it was totally inspiring. He is my hero and is acknowledged as one of the world's best animal trainers.