Thread: Outside kennel for your dog?

Outside kennel for your dog?

Do you have an outside kennel for your dog?

One of the factors that stopped me from getting a dog for a while was the thought of it being stuck in the house all day. Once I had the idea of it having an area of the garden to use the stumbling block was removed and Sam was bought.

I had a plastic kennel from day one but it was in the house. Sam's bed was kept in it and it was her secure hide away. So when it came time to move it outside she knew it was her place. She is in the house when we are and sleeps indoors at night but if we are out during the day she is in the garden and has the shelter of the kennel if she wants it. She is secure in the garden and can't escape. She also gets a visit from a neighbour who brings her a biscuit.

Of course even though I had bought a large plastic kennel it did start to get a bit "cosy" for Sam. She had also chewed it quite a bit. I was looking for a while for a replacement when I hit on the idea of using an old whisky barrel. This turned out to be way cheaper too. 40 got me the barrel from a cooperage near work and I cut the opening and fitted matting I already had. I also formed the porch roof from some roofing zinc I had so that was free too.

Sam loves it.

It is was more solid than any of the actual kennels I looked at. There are no edges to chew. The only maintenance it needs it tightening the bands as the wood dries out and even this only shows up if you move it. All in all I am very pleased with it and it looks way better than the plastic one it replaced.

As to having Sam outside I feel much happier not worrying that she is bursting for the toilet etc. if I am late home. She has more to see with the chickens in the garden and her visits from the neighbour. It is like she has her own life when I am at work.

The downside is the worry of her being stolen. I have taken a number of precautions, which I won't list here for obvious reasons. On balance I think the benefits for Sam's happiness outweigh the risks of theft, and her happiness is the important bit.
    John

I started at the bottom and I like it here

Looks great. Can you make me one for Brae?

Sue

Making it is easy. Actually the cooperage will cut the hole for you. The problem is transport. It would not fit through the back door in my Landrover. Brae would fit in a smaller one so probably not as much hassle to transport.
    John

Great idea John only problem I can see with the barell's are my kids would be rolling it down the hill with one of the dogs still inside would be like a scene from jackass poor dog staggering about at the bottom of the hill lol!!
    Years ago we used to breed and show Akita's we had a number of kennel's with runs attached we used 6x4 sheds used to cut the hatch in the door line and insulate the shed i'd split the shed horizontally making storage in the upper half.
    Now we're down to just three dog's( I know just three) a Shepard,cocker and a springer I use a large traditional dog kennel they just pile in together.

My girls would be rolling the barrel about too. That's why it is up on stumps. That said, I think Sam may like being rolled about. She is that sort of dog
    John

diogenes lived in a barrel. she's in good company there

That looks very cosy. Some of our working sheepdogs have whisky barrel beds and they love them